Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable, precise and verifiable source for any quote on this list please move it to Iggy Pop. --Antiquary 18:50, 3 June 2009 (UTC)
- Nihilism is best done by professionals.
- I can't do it all myself. I'm not that kind of artist, I'm the kind of artist who works off other people best. It was like playing with Tinker toys or dominoes, trying to get all the pieces to fit like a jigsaw puzzle so I'd have a whole portrait but it would still have many facets.
- I like music that's more offensive. I like it to sound like nails on a blackboard, get me wild.
- I never believed that U2 wanted to save the whales. I don't believe that The Beastie Boys are ready to lay it down for Tibet.
- I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.
- I'll tell you about punk rock: punk rock is a word used by dilettantes and, uh... and, uh... heartless manipulators, about music... that takes up the energies, and the bodies, and the hearts and the souls and the time and the minds, of young men, who give what they have to it, and give everything they have to it. And it's a... it's a term that's based on contempt; it's a term that's based on fashion, style, elitism, satanism, and, everything that's rotten about rock 'n' roll. I don't know Johnny Rotten.. but I'm sure, I'm sure he puts as much blood and sweat into what he does as Sigmund Freud did. You see, what, what sounds to you like a big load of trashy old noise... is in fact... the brilliant music of a genius... myself. And that music is so powerful, that it's quite beyond my control. And, ah... when I'm in the grips of it, I don't feel pleasure and I don't feel pain, either physically or emotionally. Do you understand what I'm talking about? Have you ever, have you ever felt like that? When you just, when you just, you couldn't feel anything, and you didn't want to either. You know, like that? Do you understand what I'm saying, sir?
- I've played a vacuum cleaner once. And people thought it was interesting!
- On his first gig with The Stooges, where he played a vacuum cleaner and a food blender into his microphone.
- Onstage I've been hit by a grapefruit, beercans, eggs, spit, money, cigarette butts, Mandies, Quaaludes, joints, bras, panties, and a fist.
- Rock and roll's old, and rock and roll's young at the same time. The only reason why its getting old is that you've got a bunch of greedy little pricks pillaging other peoples hooks and other peoples riffs because there too damn lazy and well-represented legally to bother to do their homework, they just want the money. If only there were more pure souls like ourselves who really needed desperately to be good, Rock 'n' Roll would still be young.
- Well, the stuff that has become more commercial doesn't have any edge.
- What I do on stage has utterly no purpose.
- You can call me Jimmy or you can call me Iggy. My parents called me James Osterberg, Jr. Iggy was a nickname hung on me that I didn't particularly like.