Pasted this from the English 'pedia, no verification as to the accuracy of these translations as I speak no German, for that matter have not read any translations. Ellsworth
The name Karl von Clausewitz, should be changed to Carl von Clausewitz.. see the original wikipedia article and also spelling used by the world's leading authorities on the man, Peter Paret and Sir Michael Howard in many different articles, in particular, Paret's article in 'Makers of Modern Strategy' is extremely useful. Also clausewitz.com, does not make this mistake.
The quote "War is nothing but a duel on a larger scale." is definitly not a Clausewitz-quote. It's Jomini. Clausewitz wrote "On War" to counter Jominis statement that war and duels were comparable. Clausewitz makes some statements where a battle can be seen as a duel, such as "the purpose of the defence is to parry the offencive" or something to the similar. But it's entirely on a tactic scale, which war can not be considered.
This is not true: Clausewitz calls war a duel in his definition of war, point 2 in his book "On War"
Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable, precise and verifiable source for any quote on this list please move it to Carl von Clausewitz. --Antiquary 17:41, 16 June 2009 (UTC)
- Four elements make up the climate of war: danger, exertion, uncertainty and chance.
- In war the result is never final.
- Politics is the womb in which war develops - where its outlines already exist in their hidden rudimentary form, like the characteristics of living creatures in their embryos.
- The Conqueror is always a lover of peace: he would prefer to take over our country unopposed.
- Theory should be study, not doctrine.