to think that there is someone who stands as a pioneer in computer technology is awe- evoking notion. Alan Kay is someone who has developed and help create technologies that most everyone uses now and also uses technologies that were influenced by these other technologies.
Comment from Alan Kay
I recognize all of these quotes except for: "To add to the school issue, when my daughter was only 8 years old she said, "School is such a waste of time. We should go straight to university and learn a profession." (Rafi Borenstein)"
I don't have a daughter. And I don't think one should go to university to learn a profession.
Best wishes to all,
“The Best Way to Predict the Future is to invent it.” Paris Hilton just tweeted this quote yesterday twitter.com/parishilton She probably meant it in the social science sense.
Quote appearing on SlashdotEdit
They are relatively good but absolutely terrible. -- Alan Kay, commenting on Apollos
I cannot find a source. What is 'Apollos'? Does this have to do with computer science or the space program?
--18.104.22.168 10:21, 20 December 2013 (UTC) I believe he revers to the Apollo/Domain workstations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Alto#Diffusion_and_evolution
- If you don't fail at least 90 percent of the time, you're not aiming high enough.
- Chris Crawford on Game Design
- By the time I got to school, I had already read a couple hundred books. I knew in the first grade that they were lying to me because I had already been exposed to other points of view. School is basically about one point of view — the one the teacher has or the textbooks have. They don't like the idea of having different points of view, so it was a battle. Of course I would pipe up with my five-year-old voice.
- Alan Kay by Scott Gasch
- Simple things should be simple, complex things should be possible.
- The Wiki Way: Quick Collaboration on the Web, Bo Leuf, Ward Cunningham
- OOP to me means only messaging, local retention and protection and hiding of state-process, and extreme late-binding of all things. It can be done in Smalltalk and in LISP. There are possibly other systems in which this is possible, but I'm not aware of them.
- E-Mail 
- The real romance is out ahead and yet to come. The computer revolution hasn't started yet. Don't be misled by the enormous flow of money into bad defacto standards for unsophisticated buyers using poor adaptations of incomplete ideas.