The following quotes were moved here from the page because the source has no apparent notability. If he is notable, please create a wp page, a wq page or add evidence of notability here. ~ MosheZadka (Talk) 15:49, 25 October 2005 (UTC)
- "To go into acting is like asking for admission to an insane asylum. Anyone may apply, but only the certifiably insane are admitted." ~ Michael Shurtleff
- "The movie actor, like the sacred king of primitive tribes, is a god in captivity." ~ Alexander Chase, Perspectives
- "Ive got tricks in my pockets. Ive got things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He shows you illusion in the appearance of truth. I show you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion." ~ Anonymous
- Possibly the guy who wrote ISBN 0899624618
Adding a quoteEdit
I wanted to add this to Wikiquote, but couldn't quite figure out how. If someone else would like to add it in for me, that would be wonderful. Thanks.
Quote: By Josie Brooke to Miss Cameron, from Chapter 8 ('Josie Plays Mermaid') of "Jo's Boys" by Louisa May Alcott.
"When I act I'm perfectly happy. I seem to live, to be in my own world, and each new part is a new friend."
- To grasp the full significance of life is the actor's duty, to interpret it is his problem, and to express it his dedication.
- The principal benefit acting has afforded me is the money to pay for my psychoanalysis.
- You can sit there and have a universal experience, of fear, of anger, of tears, of love, and I discovered that its the audience, really, that is doing the acting.
- If there's anything unsettling to the stomach, it's watching actors on television talk about their personal lives.
- An actor is at most a poet and at least an entertainer.
- If you're successful, acting is about as soft a job as anybody could ever wish for. But if you unsuccessful it's worse than having a skin disease.
- When an actor has money he doesn't send letters, he sends telegrams.
- Pray to God and say the lines.
- Bette Davis, 'advice to the actress Celeste Holm. Attrib.
- I do not regret one professional enemy I have made. Any actor who doesn't dare to make an enemy should get out of the business.
- Without wonder and insight, acting is just a trade. With it, it becomes creation.
- [T]he question actors most often get asked is how they can bear saying the same things over and over again night after night, but God knows the answer to that is, don't we all anyway; might as well get paid for it.
- Unlike writers or painters, we don't sit down in front of a blank canvas and say, 'How do I start? Where do I start?' We're given the springboard of the text, a plane ticket, told to report to Alabama, and there's a group of people all ready to make a film and it's a marvelous life.
- It is easier to get an actor to be a cowboy than to get a cowboy to be an actor.
- John Ford, attributed
- Actors are crap.
- John Ford.
- If there wasn't something called acting they would probably hospitalize people like me. The giddiness and the joy of life is the moving and grooving, the exploration.
- You're an actor, are you? Well, all that means is: you are irresponsible, irrational, romantic, and incapable of handling an adult emotion or a universal concept without first reducing it to something personal, material, sensational — and probably sexual!
- George Herman.
- All actors are cattle. Actually, all actors are not cattle, but should be treated as such.
- When an actor comes to me and wants to discuss his character, I say, 'It's in the script.' If he says, But what's my motivation?, I say, 'Your salary.'
- Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, actors!
- Movie actors are just ordinary mixed-up people -- with agents.
- An actor onstage can no more act upon the order 'Be happy' than she can upon the order 'Do not think of a hippopotamus.'
- We used to have actresses trying to become stars; now we have stars trying to become actresses.
- Acting is not being emotional, but being able to express emotion.
- Kate Reid.
- An actress must never lose her ego — without it she has no talent.
- Norma Shearer
- I do a job. I get paid. I go home.
- Maureen Stapleton.
- Every actor in his heart believes everything bad that's printed about him.
- Every now and then, when you're onstage, you hear the best sound a player can hear. It's a sound you can't get in movies or in television. It is the sound of a wonderful, deep silence that means you've hit them where they live.