- Directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Written by Samson Raphaelson, Joan Harrison, and Alma Reville, based on the novel Before the Fact by Francis Iles.
- Oh, I beg your pardon. Was that your leg? I had no idea we were going into a tunnel. I thought the compartment was empty.
- If you're going to kill someone, do it simply.
- Well, well. You're the first woman I've ever met who said yes when she meant yes.
- Hello Monkeyface!
- General McLaidlaw: Good heavens! You can't expect me to remember every detail about everybody, can you?
- Lina McLaidlaw Aysgarth: I must go now or I'll be late to luncheon. Anyway, if my father saw me come in both late and beautiful, he might have a stroke.
- Isobel Sedbusk: I always think of my murderers as my heroes.
- Isobel Sedbusk: You couldn't hurt a fly, Bertram, unless it was already dead.
- Johnnie Aysgarth: You thought I was going to kiss you, didn't you?
- Lina McLaidlaw Aysgarth: Weren't you?
- Johnnie Aysgarth: Of course not. I was merely reaching around you, trying to fix your hair.
- Lina McLaidlaw Aysgarth: What's wrong with my hair?
- Johnnie Aysgarth: Well, I'm glad you asked me that. It would've been extremely discourteous for me to bring the subject up. Your hair's all wrong. It has such wonderful possibilities that I, well, I got excited. For the moment I became a, a passionate hairdresser.
- [Lina starts to button her blouse]
- Johnnie Aysgarth: Don't do that.
- Lina McLaidlaw Aysgarth: Why not?
- Johnnie Aysgarth: Because your ucipital mapilary is quite beautiful.
- [Johnnie and Lina are facing a large portrait of her father]
- Johnnie Aysgarth: He doesn't like me.
- Lina McLaidlaw Aysgarth: I know.
- Johnnie Aysgarth: He doesn't trust me from here to there. [Speaking to portrait] Do you? Well, you're right. I can only bring her unhappiness. Well, warn her. Speak up, man. It's your last chance. [To Lina] Hear him?
- Lina McLaidlaw Aysgarth: Very distinctly.
- Johnnie Aysgarth: He's not exaggerating a thing, dear. It's all true, every word he isn't saying.
- Lina McLaidlaw Aysgarth: I love him, father.
- Johnnie Aysgarth: Did you see him jump?
- Lina McLaidlaw Aysgarth: I did.
- Johnnie Aysgarth: Well, watch this one. [Speaking to portrait] Sir, I have the honor of asking for your daughter's hand in marriage. Well, what do you say to that? [He begins tapping on the portrait and it falls off the wall] My oh my. You heard him that time, didn't you?
- [Lina asks Johnnie how he intends to support them]
- Johnnie Aysgarth: Well, if the worst comes to the worst and there's no other way out, I'll have to...
- Lina McLaidlaw Aysgarth: What?
- Johnnie Aysgarth: Borrow some more.
- Lina McLaidlaw Aysgarth: When he enticed his victim across the footbridge, knowing that the bridge has been sawn through...
- Isobel Sedbusk: He also knew that his victim couldn't swim. Don't forget that.
- Lina McLaidlaw Aysgarth: Well, what I want to know is this. Would you call that an actual murder?
- Isobel Sedbusk: Well, from a moral standpoint there's no question at all. It is murder.
- Isobel Sedbusk: Imagine a substance in daily use everywhere. Anyone can lay his hands on it, and within a minute after taking, the victim's beautifully out of the way. Mind you, it's undetectable after death.
- Lina McLaidlaw Aysgarth: Is whatever it is, painful?
- Isobel Sedbusk: Oh, not in the least. In fact I should think it'd be a most pleasant death.
- Photographer: I wonder if I could have just a little bit more of your smile?
- Johnnie Aysgarth: Oh, now, not at this hour of the morning.
- Each time they kissed... there was the thrill of love... the threat of murder!
- Love in his Heart ... Tragedy in his Mind!
- In his arms she felt safety...in his absence, haunting dread!
Last modified on 15 January 2011, at 22:31↑Jump back a section
- Cary Grant - Johnnie Aysgarth
- Joan Fontaine - Lina McLaidlaw Aysgarth
- Cedric Hardwicke - General McLaidlaw
- Nigel Bruce - Gordon Cochrane 'Beaky' Thwaite
- Dame May Whitty - Mrs. Martha McLaidlaw
- Isabel Jeans - Mrs. Newsham
- Heather Angel - Ethel (Maid)
- Auriol Lee - Isobel Sedbusk
- Reginald Sheffield - Reggie Wetherby
- Leo G. Carroll - Captain George Melbeck