Superman is a fictional character and superhero, also known as Clark Kent and Kal-El. Created by Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel, he first appeared in Action Comics #1 in 1938 and rapidly became a popular and well-known comic book icon.
- Superman: This looks like a job for Superman.
Superman in Action ComicsEdit
- Man in Green (brandishing a gun at Superman): Reach for the ceiling, quick!
- Superman: Put that toy AWAY!
- Superman: This is no time for horseplay!
- Superman (to a man beating his wife): You're not fighting a woman now!
- Superman (to Lois, after saving her): I'd advise you not to print this little episode.
Written by Marv Wolfman
- H.I.V.E Goon: You can't threaten me, Superman! You'd never kill us!
- Superman: You're right! Taking lives is something I definitely find offensive! But roughing up criminal terrorists a bit doesn't faze me at all!
Written by Dan Jurgens
- Superman: It stops here, mister! This insanity ends in Metropolis!
- Superman: Too late, Lois. The JLA has already fallen and there are too many innocents in jeopardy. It's up to me.
- Lois: Clark... I...
- Superman: Just remember... no matter what happens... I'll always love you. ALWAYS.
- Superman: Nobody tears my city apart and gets away with it.
- Superman: I don't know what hole you crawled out of or where you came from, but I'm sending you back!
- Superman: Enough, Doomsday! If you want to get your hands on my friends, you're going to have to kill me first!
- Superman (his last internal monologue before he dies): For Lois, and Jimmy and the entire city, I've got to put this guy away while I still can!
Superman: The Man of SteelEdit
Written by Louise Simonson
- Batman: He gave me this ring with a kryptonite stone. He said -
- Superman: I have many enemies who have tried to control me. And I live in fear that someday, they might succeed. If that ever should happen -- If I should ever lose control, There would only be one sure way to stop me.
- Batman: Do you realize what you're asking?
- Superman: I do. I want the means to stop me in the hands of a man I can trust with my life.
Written by Geoff Johns
- King of Diamonds: Aren't you going to read me my rights?
- Superman: See a badge?
- Superman: Hello, Ten.
- Ten of Diamonds: I was just thinking about you. How --
- Superman: You've got a very distinct heartbeat. Erratic breathing. And your kevlar costume squeaks when you walk. Easy sound grouping to pull out of a crowd.
- Ten of Diamonds: A crowd of eleven million?
- Superman: My hearing's very acute.
The Adventures of SupermanEdit
- Deke Dickson: Maybe you can steal more money with a briefcase than a gun, but nothing beats superpowers!
- Superman: Close, Punk. Nothing beats Superman!
Minis and Other AppearancesEdit
Written by Mark Waid
- Superman: I'm Superman. I can do anything.
- Wonder Woman: Except, apparently, face your fear.
- Superman: Party's over.
- Superman: We are at war.
- Superman: Only the weak succumb to brutality.
All Star SupermanEdit
Written by Grant Morrison
- The Sphinx: What happens when the unstoppable force meets the immovable object?
- Superman: They surrender.
- Superman: You're much stronger than you think you are. Trust me.
Superman: Birthright (2003–2004)Edit
- Written by Mark Waid
- Clark (to his mother, Martha Kent, in an email): I can see this, I suppose you could call it, aura of colors that words can't describe around living things. And when something dies the aura fades leaving something that's not easy to look at. It appears empty in a way that makes you feel empty too!!
- Clark (to his mother, Martha Kent, in an email): Each time I think I've made a connection with someone... once they find out what I can do, whether it's hours or days later, everything changes. Invariably they freak. They get retroactively paranoid, wondering what else Clark Kent is hiding from them.
- Superman and Lois (first time)
- Superman: Don't be afraid.
- Lois: I'm not. Helicopters, danger, go, go, go! Then we'll talk.
- Superman(to himself): She's not afraid.
- Superman apprehending an arms dealer
- Superman: I know it was you who sold those guns to those kids.
- Arms dealer: I didn't sell them anything.
- Superman: I can hear your heartbeat. I know you're lying.
- Superman(Grabbing a gun off the wall): I just saw a young girl looking down the barrel of a gun screaming. She will remember it for the rest of her life.
- Superman(Firing the gun at the terrified arms dealer then catching the bullet right in front of his face): Now, so will you.
- Clark and Lois at a diner
- Lois: When we first met Luthor, you acted like the two of you knew each other.
- Clark: Yeah. A long time ago back in Smallville. He doesn't seem to remember, which is its own miracle. I was hoping he wouldn't anyway.
- Lois: That's too bad. It would be nice if you could shed some light on his actions.
- Clark: Looking back, Lois, I think he just wants someone to talk to.
- Superman saves Lois from mobsters
- Lois: Thank God.
- Superman: Are you all right?
- Lois: I'm fine. I need to talk with you.
- Superman: Can it wait?
- Lois: No. (Bullet flies past her head) Yes.
- Earth-2 Superman: [internal monologue upon hearing of the death of Superboy, at the hands of Superboy-Prime] When I had to tell Kara, all she could say was "Why? Why did we survive when he didn't?" I asked myself that question so many times. But I thought I knew the answer. Because I thought he was unworthy of the symbol I'd help. But I picked the wrong one to condone. And the wrong one to condemn.
- Green Lantern: I'm picking up a signal... The Society has broken open every prison in the world and brought the inmates to Metropolis. They're going to storm the city. They're saying that if Superman's city falls... the rest will follow...?
- Superman: Everyone, listen to me! These jerks killed Superboy. They've tried to kill us. Now they say they're going to tear this city apart. I say... like hell.
- Superboy-Prime: [battling Superman]] I'm the only one who can rescue this messed-up universe. I'm the only one who knows how to make it right. I will be its greatest hero! When you're gone... I will be Superman!
- Superman: Superman? [rips the S-Shield off Superboy-Prime's costume] You'll never be Superman. Because you have no idea what it means to be Superman.
- Superboy-Prime: Yes I do. I'm from Krypton! A better Krypton than yours ever was!
- Superman: It's not about where you were born. Or what powers you have. Or what you wear on your chest.
- Superboy-Prime: Shut up! [the two continue fighting]
- Superman: [after defeating Superboy-Prime] It's about what you do... It's about action.
Misc. Superman QuotesEdit
The Flash(Wally West) talking to the other titans
- Flash: I remember the first time I met Superman. Barry was going to introduce us. I was just standing on the rooftop watching Barry talk to Superman. I must have tapped my foot a thousand times fighting the urge to ask for his autograph. I started to get down on myself looking at him. Like I could never measure up. I felt like taking off my costume and walking away. When they finished talking Superman walked over to me, put his hand on my shoulder and said "I wish more young people were like you." Afterwards I couldn't stop smiling for a week.
Superman and Batman Talking in Superman: Critical Condition
- Superman: I'm sorry for interfering Bruce. I know that could have gone badly.
- Batman: They're never afraid of you are they? Glowing green and seeping radiation. You could break this planet in two. And yet when they see you there struggling to hold yourself up in a doorway, they trip over each other to help you.
- Superman: You could try asking people nicely.
Martha Kent talking to Clark about being Superman
- Martha: You can't wear a mask Clark. When people see you and can see the things you can do, the power you have, they'll be terrified. They need to be able to look into your eyes, see your face, so that they can see the decency and kindness that's always there and know they have nothing to be afraid of.
The Atom from Superman: Critical Condition
- The Atom: I remember the first time I met Superman. It was a Justice League case so there were other heroes involved, but in my mind none of them stood as tall or as proudly as Superman. I began to wonder what I was doing in the same room as him, how little he must think of me. But Superman never treated me as anything but an equal. At six inches tall he made me feel like a giant. Now I had to be that giant for him.
Green Arrow asks for Superman's help on a murder case involving a hanging (Identity Crisis)
- Green Arrow: (internal monologue) For the last victim, we went to Animal Man, the Metal Man, and Mister Miracle. We found nothing. So this time, we go to the top. (he glances at Superman) The very top.
- Superman: The killer used a sheep's tongue knot with a Dutch Marine twist.
- Green Arrow: How do you know that?
- Superman: It's a standard Boy Scout's knot.
- Green Arrow: (internal monologue)And in one sentence I can both love and hate the man.
Quotes about SupermanEdit
- Alphabetized by author
- Contrary to the rumours that you've heard, I was not born in a manger. I was actually born on Krypton and sent here by my father, Jor-El, to save the planet Earth.
- Barack Obama, in regard to impossibly high expectations of what he might do as president, jokingly implyng that he was Superman rather than Jesus, in a speech at the Al Smith Dinner in New York City (17 October 2008)
- He's a fairy, I do suppose, flying through the air in pantyhose. He may be sexy, or even cute, but he looks like a sucka in a blue and red suit.
- Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He's weak. He's unsure of himself. He's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race.
- The police officer who puts their life on the line with no superpowers, no X-Ray vision, no super-strength, no ability to fly, and above all no invulnerability to bullets, reveals far greater virtue than Superman — who is only a mere superhero.
- DC Comics - Superman
- An Analysis of Superman, The Man of Steel
- Superman Through the Ages (tribute site)
- Identity Crisis: The Many Faces of the Man of Steel
- Alan Kistler's Superman Files - A retrospective by comic book historian Alan Kistler on the entire history of Superman in the comics and other media.
- Superman's Shield and its History, studying the development of Superman's shield emblem in its various incarnations and reimaginings.