A suicide note is a document written by a person preparing to commit suicide, often to explain the reasons for this act and to say goodbye to loved ones, although sometimes simply as a means to make an additional statement. A suicide note typically relays the last words of its author, although in several instances the author survives the attempt, or at least survives long enough to utter some additional "last words".
- Dou o primeiro passo no caminho da eternidade, e saio da vida para entrar na História.
- Translation: I take the first step in the path of eternity and I leave life to enter History.
- Who: Getúlio Dornelles Vargas, Brazilian president, in his Carta Testamento.
- I wanted to do too much. Even though I live, I'm not really alive. I don't want anyone to be disappointed. It's nice having money … I wanted to make money.
- Lee Eun-ju, South Korean actress, d. 2005.
- Despair and depression,
together they grow.
Hope shall meet hopeless
when there's nowhere to go.
- Misao Fujimura, Japanese high school philosophy student, d. 1903.
- When all usefulness is over, when one is assured of an unavoidable and imminent death, it is the simplest of human rights to choose a quick and easy death in place of a slow and horrible one.
- Charlotte Perkins Gilman, writer, d. August 17, 1935.
- Things just went wrong too many times.
- Who: Tony Hancock
- All fled – all done, so lift me on the pyre;
The feast is over, and the lamps expire.
- Robert E. Howard, writer, d. June 11, 1936.
- I am going to put myself to sleep now for a bit longer than usual. Call it Eternity.
- Who: Jerzy Kosinski, Polish-American novelist
- Excuse all the blood.
- I must end it. There's no hope left. I'll be at peace. No one had anything to do with this. My decision totally.
- Who: Freddie Prinze, comedian.
- To my friends and supporters to help them make sense of all these events that have happened so quickly: Certain human cultures have been waging war against the Earth for millennia. I chose to fight on the side of bears, mountain lions, skunks, bats, saguaros, cliff rose and all things wild. I am just the most recent casualty in that war. But tonight I have made a jail break – I am returning home, to the Earth, to the place of my origins. Bill, 12/21/05 (the winter solstice.)
- Who: William C. Rodgers, American environmentalist
- Note: Rodgers was arrested on December 7, 2005 by the FBI in Operation Backfire, being charged with ecoterrorist activities (Rodgers denied the allegations). He committed suicide in his cell using a plastic bag on December 21, 2005, the winter solstice.
- Dear World, I am leaving you because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool – good luck.
- Who: George Sanders, Actor
- Forgive me. I can no longer live with my nerves.
- Who: Jean Seberg
- When I am dead, and over me bright April
Shakes out her rain drenched hair,
Tho you should lean above me broken hearted,
I shall not care.
For I shall have peace.
As leafey trees are peaceful
When rain bends down the bough.
And I shall be more silent and cold hearted
Than you are now.
- Sara Teasdale (poet), addressing her lover, d. 1933.
- No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun – for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax – This won't hurt.
- Who: Hunter S. Thompson (1937–2005), suicide note entitled Football Season is Over
- Hunter was actually speaking to his wife, Anita, on the telephone, with the word "Counselor" typed on his typewriter, when he shot himself. The above quote was written a week or so earlier.
- The future is just old age and illness and pain … I must have peace and this is the only way.
- James Whale, film director, d. May 29, 1957.
- The act of taking my own life is not something I am doing without a lot of thought. I don't believe that people should take their own lives without deep and thoughtful reflection over a considerable period of time. I do believe strongly, however, that the right to do so is one of the most fundamental rights that anyone in a free society should have. For me much of the world makes no sense, but my feelings about what I am doing ring loud and clear to an inner ear and a place where there is no self, only calm. Love always, Wendy.
- I feel certain that I'm going mad again. I feel we can't go through another of those terrible times. And I shan't recover this time. I begin to hear voices.
- Who: Virginia Woolf