- Mama, who bore me mama the angels, no sleep in Heaven or Bethlehem.
- Some pray that one day, Christ will come a calling. They light a candle, and hope that it glows. And some just lie there cryin' for Him to come and find them, but when he comes they don't know how to go.
- Mama Who Bore Me
- All that's known, in History, Science. Overthrown, at school, at home by blind men.
- I know there's so much more to find, just in looking through myself and not at them.
- You doubt them, but soon they bark and hound you, till everything you say is just another bad about you.
- Thought is suspect and money is their idol, and nothing is okay unless it's scripted in their bible.
- I'm calling, and one day all will know!
- All That's Known
- God, I dreamed there was an angel, who could hear me through the wall, as I cried out, like, in Latin "this is so not life at all!"
- Cause' my days at the piano and my teacher and her breasts. I mean music's like the one thing I can even get at all. And those breasts. I mean, God please just let those apples fall.
- It's the bitch of the living, just getting out of bed"
- This can't be iiiiiit. Oh God, what a bitch!
- The Bitch of Living
- We've all got our junk, and my junk is you.
- It's almost like lovin', sad as that is. May not be cool, but it's so where I live.
- "You'll have to excuse me, I know it's so off, I love when you do stuff that's rude and so wrong"
- Fraulein Grossenbustenhaulter: Very well, Georg, and this time bring out the left hand.
- My Junk
- Where I go, when I go there, no more shadows anymore. Only men with golden fins, the rhythm with them rocking with them to shore.
- Where I go when I go there, no more memory any more. Only men on distant ships, the women with them swimming with them to shore
- Touch me, all silent. Tell me, please, all is forgiven. Consume my mind, consume my wine. I'll tell you how, how the winds sigh.
- Moritz: Not that I'm saying I wouldn't want...would ever want to not-- would ever not want..
- Melchior: Moritz?
- Moritz: I have to go!
- Melchior: Moritz- wait!
- Touch Me
- Herr Neumann: Ilse? Ilse! Story time...
Ilse: I don't scream, though I know it's wrong. I just play along. I lie there and breathe, lie there and breathe I wanna be strong, I want the word to find out, that you're dreaming on me. Me and my beauty. Martha and Ilse: Me and my beauty. Martha and Ilse: God it's good the loving ain't it good tonight? You ain't seen nothing, yet gonna treat you right. It's just you and me. Child you're a beauty.
- you say all you want is just a kiss good night then you hold me and you whisper, "child the lord won't mind" it's just you and me, child you're a beauty
- The Dark I Know Well
- Now our bodies are the guilty ones. Who touch, and color the hours.
- Father Kaulbach: Ah but children, children, in what ways have we cloaked, and hidden even from ourselves, the secret bargains we have made with out own devils...?
- Melchior, Wendla, Boys and Girls: And now our bodies are the guilty ones...
(Moritz strides in, waving everyone away)
- Moritz: Enough, enough. Enough!
- The Guilty Ones
- Spring and summer, every other day.
- Blue Wind Don't do sadness,
- There's a moment you know...you're fucked.
- Herr Knochenbruch: For our part, we have made a thorough examination of the handwriting of this obscene document, and compared it with every single pupil-
- Melchior: Sir, if you could show me but one obscenity-!
- Herr Knockenbruch: You must now answer only the precisely stated questions! With a swift "Yes" or "No!
- Herr Knockenbruch: Melchior Gabor, did you write this?
- But the thing that makes you really jump, is that the weirdest shit is still to come. You can ask yourself, "Hey what have I done" you're still a fly the little guys they kill for fun.
- Yeah you're fucked all right and all for spite you can kiss your sorry ass goodbye. Totally fucked will they mess you up well they know there gonna try
- blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
- Totally Fucked
- Come cream away the bliss, fondle the girl of your distant dreams.
- Oh, I'm gonna be wounded. Oh I'm gonna be your wound. Oh I'm gonna bruise you. Oh I'm gonna be your bruise
- The word of your Body reprise
- Were you really so blind? And unkind to him?
- Can't help the itch to touch to kiss to hold him once again. Now to close his eyes, never open them"
- All things he ever did are left behind. All the things his mama wished he bared in mind. And all his dad, had hope he know
- All the things that ever flicked through his mind. All the sadness that he'd come to own
- And it whistles through the ghosts still left behind
- Left Behind
- Hanschen: Darling, don't think I take your murder lightly. The truth is, I can hardly bear to think of those long nights ahead...But it's sucking the marrow from my bones, seeing you lie there. Motionless. Staring at me, so innocently. One of us must go-- it's you, or me.
- Melchior: With all respect, sir, are you therefore suggesting there is no further room for critical thought or interpretation?
- Melchior: (Reading aloud as he writes) 27 November. The trouble is: the terrible prerogative of the....Parentocracy in Secondary Education . . .
(The lights shift, rising on Moritz in the schoolyard. Herr Knochenbruch and Fraulein Knuppeldick summon him.)
- Fraulein Knuppeldick: Herr Stiefel, may we have a word with you?
- Melchior: (Continuing in his journal)....a word where teachers, like parents, view us as merely so much raw material for an obedient and productive society...
(Herr Knockenbruch and Fraulein Knuppeldick approach Moritz, and address him in private conference.) ...a unified military-like body, where all that is weak must be hammered away... (Herr Knochenbruch and Fraulein Knuppeldick continue on their way, leaving Moritz looking like a ghost) ...where the progress of the students reflects back only on the rank and order of the faculty, and therefore a single low mark can be seen as a threat to- (Moritz wanders off-- lost. Wendla approaches Melchior.)
- Wendla: Melchior?
- Melchior: (Jumps up, startled) You?!
- Melchoir: Forgive me.
- Wendla: It was me. All me.
(Melchoir kisses Wendla)
- Wendla: No! It's just it's...
- Melchoir: What? Sinful?
- Wendla: No, I...I don't know!
- Melchoir: Beacuse it's good? Beacuse it makes us feel something?
(Wendla kisses Melchoir, and they fall back together onto the hayloft)
- Ilse: What are you looking for?
- Moritz: If only I knew.
- Ilse: Then what's the use of looking?
- Wendla:(to her mother): My God! Why didn't you tell me everything?!
(Frau Bergman slaps Wendla across the face)
(Melchior doubles over, bereft. Spare piano chords-- an otherworldly music begins. Moritz appears-- in song light-- as if rising from his grave)
- Moritz: Those you've known, and lost still walk behind you...
- Melchior: Moritz?
- Moritz: All alone, they linger till they find you...
- Melchior: I've been a fool.
- Moritz: Without them, the world grows dark around you.
And nothing is the same until you know that they have found you.
(Melchior pulls out a straight razor)
- Melchior: Well you had the right idea. They'll scatter a little earth, and thank their God!