Silliman University is a private Christian university in Dumaguete City, Philippines. Founded by Presbyterian missionaries in 1901, it is the oldest American-established university in the Philippines and the first American university in Asia.
Last modified on 26 May 2013, at 14:44↑Jump back a section
- "There were fifteen boys that first morning. The equipment consisted of four desks about ten feet long, two tables and two chairs, a few McGuffey’s Readers, a few geographies, arithmetics and ninth-grade grammars. I was President; Mrs. Hibbard was the faculty."
- Dr. David Sutherland Hibbard, after the school's establishment, Carson, Arthur L., Silliman University 1901-1959, United Board for Christian Higher Education in Asia, p.1
- Via Veritas Vita - "The Way, The Truth, The Life"
- Silliman University Motto, appearing in the Bible: John 14:6
- "Often I have marveled over the far-seeing vision and crusading spirit of philanthropy that had actuated the kind soul who, in a land not his own founded this Institute to impart to our youth a culture and a faith buttressed by upright moral principles."
- Emilio Aguinaldo during his visit to Silliman Institute now Silliman University
- "Every once in a while, my mind would catch, however faintly, strains of music from long, long ago, when my elder brother, fresh from what seemed to me then a wonderful adventure in a world far from home, used to sing that sweet song with words I can still remember — "Silliman Beside the Sea."
- Sen. Jovito Salonga, "The Educated Man", The Jovito R. Salonga Journal, Retrieved 2010-02-13.
- "Let me start off by admitting that I am quite nervous about giving this speech for a couple of reasons. First, because I am speaking at the distinguished Silliman University where my grandfather, John Gokongwei Sr., went to high school. I never had the chance to meet him since he passed away when my father was only thirteen. But I am very honored to be speaking on the hallowed and historic grounds where he went to school more than 80 years ago. The other reason I am nervous is because I am speaking to the 2007 graduating class of Silliman. Given your Sillimanian pedigree, the world has high expectations of you."
- Lance Gokongwei, Commencement Address at Silliman University, March 25, 2007, SU NetNews. Retrieved 2010-02-13.
- "I have always held the highest regard for Silliman University. I have many colleagues in UP - members of our faculty who are graduates of this institution and I am very impressed by them."
- Emerlinda Roman, President of the University of the Philippines, Commencement Address at Silliman University, March 21, 2010, SU NetNews. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- "It is a privilege of mine to be here. In 2003, I was requested to be the commencement speaker for the graduating class of the University of the Philippines-Diliman. And after I gave that address, I said to myself-and this is true-the only other invitation that I will accept after UP Diliman is Silliman University. I have actually been waiting for almost three years. And I would have waited 30 more years to address you."
- Menardo "Butch" G. Jimenez, Jr., Senior Vice-President, Retail Business Group PLDT and OIC, Wireless Consumer Division, Smart Communications, Commencement Address at Silliman University, March 26, 2006.
- "I cannot think of a more pleasant environment in this country that is most conducive to serious study than the campus of Silliman University."
- Oscar M. Lopez, Chairman, Lopez Group of Companies, Address at Silliman University, July 2010, SU NetNews. Retrieved 2010-07-24.