- Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker. Guys around here will tell ya, you play for a living, it's like any other job. You don't gamble, you grind it out. Your goal is to win one big bet an hour, that's it. Get your money in when you have the best of it. Protect it when you don't. Don't give anything away. That's how I paid my way through half of law school. A true grinder. You see, I learned how to win a little at a time. But finally I've learned this: if you're too careful, your whole life can become a fuckin' grind.
- I've often seen these people, these squares at the table, short stack and long odds against them. All their outs gone. One last card in the deck that can help them. I used to wonder how they could let themselves get into such bad shape, and how the hell they thought they could turn it around.
- We're not playing together. But then again, we're not playing against each other either. It's like the Nature Channel. You don't see piranhas eating each other, do you?
- Just like a young man coming in for quicky. I feel so dissatisfied.
- It hurts doesn't it? Your hopes dashed, your dreams down the toilet. And your fate is sitting right besides you.
- Worm: Just like the saying says, you know? In the poker game of life, women are the rake. They are the fucking rake.
- Mike: What the fuck are you talking about? What saying?
- Worm: I don't know. There oughta be one.
- [before inviting Worm up to his place]
- Mike: All right, listen. Things haven't been so smooth on the home front, so tone it down a little, all right?
- Worm: Tone down what, motherfucker?
- Mike: Great. Never mind.
- Mike: So, uh, Nick the Greek, what's with kiting my checks?
- Worm: I'm on empty.
- Mike: How much was the hooker?
- Worm: Mike, please! "Relaxation therapist!"
- Worm: Hey, you know what cheers me up when I'm feeling shitty?
- Mike: What?
- Worm: Rolled-up aces over kings.
- Mike: Is that right?
- Worm: Check-raising stupid tourists and taking huge pots off of them.
- Mike: Yeah?
- Worm: Stacks and towers of checks I can't even see over. Playing all-night, high-limit Hold'em at the Taj, "where the sand turns to gold."
- Mike: Fuck it, let's go.
- Worm: Don't tease me.
- Mike: Let's play some fucking cards!
- Worm: Yes!
- Mike: Fifteen grand in five days, I can do that. I've gone on rushes like that before.
- Worm: Uh, under optimum conditions with a bank roll. Maybe, maybe. But... what do you got on you?
- Mike: I got, like, 350.
- Worm: Nah, that's only 1200 between us. We might as well play the fucking lotto.
- Worm: O yeah, one more thing, I got a feelin.'
- Mike: Yeah, what feeling is that?
- Worm: I know you know this feeling... You know this feeling very well... I mean, you got your table all set up, your fork, your knife, your A1 sauce...
- Mike and Worm: All you need is the steak.
- Mike: Uh, you know what? I got my five grand here. That's just fine by me. I'm going home.
- Teddy KGB: Fine. It's a fucking joke anyway. After all, I am paying you with your money.
- Mike: What did you say?
- Teddy KGB: Your money... I am still up grand... from this last time I stick it in you.
- Mike: [Narrating] They're trying to goad me, trying to own me. But this isn't a gunfight. It's not about pride or ego. It's only about money. I can leave now, even with Grama and KGB... and halfway to paying Petrovsky back. That's the safe play. I told Worm you can't lose what you don't put in the middle. But you can't win much either.
- Grama: Enough is enough, Teddy. Finish the fucking kid off.
- Teddy KGB: Hanging around, hanging around. Kid's got alligator blood. Can't get rid of him.
- [last lines of the movie]
- Taxi Driver: Vegas, huh?
- Mike: Yep.
- Taxi Driver: Good luck, man.
- Mike: [narrating] People insist on calling it luck. [to taxi driver] Thanks. [narrating] First prize at the World Series of Poker is a million dollars. Does it have my name on it? I don't know. But I'm going to find out.
- You've got to play the hand you're dealt.
- In The Game Of Life... Play The Cards You're Dealt
- Trust everyone... but always cut the cards
- Pick a card, any card
- It's immoral to let a sucker keep his money
Last modified on 4 February 2013, at 21:30↑Jump back a section