- The problem that first demands solution is to discover the disruptive agent which would be potent enough to rip the Cloghvorra Stone from its parent bed, to bear it down the valley for miles, and to cast it on the mountain side.
- The Cause of an Ice Age, London, 1891, p. 3
- The Planet of Romance
- Name for hypothetical planet nearer the Sun than Mercury
- The Story of the Heavens, London, 1893, p. 122
- The moons of Uranus seem to have got a twist.
- Star-Land, London, 1895, p. 227
- The intrinsic brightness of the Sun is fully 5,000 times as great as if the whole surface were formed of the molten steel just issuing from the Bessemer converter.
- The Story of the Sun, London, 1906, p. 103