Rio, often promoted as Rio: The Movie or The Rio Movie, is a 2011 American 3D computer-animated musical comedy film produced by Blue Sky Studios and directed by Carlos Saldanha. The title refers to the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro, where the film is set. The film features features the voices of Jesse Eisenberg, Anne Hathaway, will.i.am, Jamie Foxx, George Lopez, Tracy Morgan, Jemaine Clement, Leslie Mann, Rodrigo Santoro and Jake T. Austin. It tells the story of Blu, a male blue macaw who is taken to Rio de Janeiro to mate with a female. He eventually falls in love with Jewel, a free-spirited macaw, and together they have to escape from being smuggled by Nigel, a cockatoo. The theme song, "Telling the World" was sung by Taio Cruz.
20th Century Fox released the film on March 22, 2011 in Brazil, and on April 15, 2011 in the United States.
- [repeated line] Let's fly!
- Natural instincts? [blows a raspberry] There's nothing natural about being thrown halfway across a room! But I'll show him!
- Maybe we could find a bus schedule or something?
- Yippie-ki-yay, monkey-man!
- [breaking a stare-off] Birds versus monkeys!
- I don't know how I got up here, but I ain't never coming down!
- This is the split!
- [last lines of the film] I love you, Rio!
- [singing] I'm a feathery freak with a beak, a bird murderer. You think you're badder than me? I never heard o'ya!
- I don't care about your nicked knick-knacks. Your burgled baubles bore me.
- [when she realises she's standing on a float in the middle of the parade; stunned] Cheese and sprinkles!
- Jewel: Is there anything else I need to know?
- Blu: Yes. I can't fly, I pick my beak, and once in a while I pee in the birdbath! Happy?!
- Mauro: You two are coming with me.
- Jewel: In your little monkey dreams.
- Rafael: [flying alongside trolley, whispering to Blu] Down here! Just tell her: "you have beautiful eyes".
- Blu: That's good! Great idea! [to Jewel; confidently] I have beautiful eyes.
- Jewel: Luiz is a bulldog?
- Luiz: You got something against dogs?
- Jewel: I do when they're drooling on me.
- Luiz: It's a medical condition!
- Blu: Yeah sounds great, it's not like we're just throwing ourselves off of a mountain... right?
- Rafael: Actually, that was pretty much my entire plan.
- Rafael: If our featherless friends can do it, how hard can it be?
- Man on glider: No, wait! [screams] Mommy!
- Rafael: Fun right?
- Blu: Yeah... fun.
- Blu: You see, who needs flying?
- Jewel: Birds! Birds need flying. Flying is... err... freedom, and, and not having to rely on anyone. Don't you want that?
- Blu: Hmm, I don't know. Sounds a little lonely.
- Blu: [after he argues with Jewel) You know what? I hate samba!
- [Jewel and Rafael gasps & Nico starts crying into Pedro's wing]
- Pedro: Hey! That's a little too far.
- Nico: Make the mean bird take it back!
- Blu: Yeah, I said it. Every song sounds exactly the same! [sings] Tico taco ya-ya-ya. Tico taco ya-ya-ya! [groans] I'm tico-taco out of here.
- Jewel: [angrily] Fine! See you around, pet! (starts flying away from Blu]
- Rafael: No, no! Wait, wait, wait! Come back! You belong together. You are Juliet to his Romeo!
- [Jewel and Blu are running away from Nigel]
- Jewel: Aw, this is great. I'm chained to the only bird in the world who can't fly!
- Blu: Well, technically, there are forty species of flightless birds.
- Jewel: Duck!
- Blu: No, ducks can fly.
- Jewel: [notices a crate] Duck, duck!
- Join the party!
- Love at first flight
- Party fowl
- 1 out of every 8 Americans is afraid of flying. Most of them don't have feathers.
- Jesse Eisenberg — Blu (voice)
- Anne Hathaway — Jewel (voice)
- George Lopez — Rafael (voice)
- will.i.am — Pedro (voice)
- Jamie Foxx — Nico (voice)
- Tracy Morgan — Luiz (voice)
- Jemaine Clement — Nigel (voice)
- Bernardo de Paula — Kipo (voice)
- Wanda Sykes and Jane Lynch — Chloe and Alice (voices)
- Francisco Ramos — Mauro (voice)
- Bebel Gilberto — Eva (voice)
- Leslie Mann — Linda Gunderson (voice)
- Sofia Scarpa Saldanha (the director's daughter) — young Linda (voice)
- Jake T. Austin — Fernando (voice)
- Bernardo de Paula — Sylvio (voice)
- Rodrigo Santoro — Túlio Monteiro (voice)
- Carlos Ponce — Marcel (voice)
- Jeffrey Garcia — Tipa (voice)
- Davi Vieira — Armando (voice)