Richard Paul Ashcroft (born 11 September 1971 in Billinge Higher End, England) is an English musician, singer and songwriter. He was the lead singer and occasional guitarist of alternative rock band The Verve from their formation in 1990 until their split in 1999, and continues as a lead vocalist working with guitars and keyboards. He became a successful solo artist in his own right, releasing three UK top three solo albums. The Verve reformed in 2007 but again broke up by summer 2009. Ashcroft then founded a new band, RPA & The United Nations of Sound, and released a new album on 19 July 2010.
A Storm in HeavenEdit
- "If trees cut stars and eyes to heaven, I'll bend them back, I'll bend them again"
- "If my skin looks tired and old from living, I'll turn right back and live it again" (Already There)
A Northerm SoulEdit
- "I wander lonely streets, behind where the old Thames does flow. And in every face I meet, reminds me of what I have run for" (History)
- "Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony, that's life. Trying to make ends meet, you're a slave to money then you die."
- "No change, I can change, I can change, I can change. But I'm here in my mould, I am here in my mould, and I'm a million different people from one day to the next, I can't change my mould, no, no, no, no, no..."
- "You know the one that takes you to the places where all the veins meet, yeah."
- "It’s just sex and violence, melody and silence." (Bitter Sweet Symphony)
- "Eyes open wide, looking at the heavens with a tear in my eye."
- " Yes, there's love if you want it. Don't sound like no sonnet, my lord."
- "Sinking faster than a boat without a hull." (Sonnet)
- "And with a drugstore wife, I was dealing, sold a bit of the white, I don't shake no hands 'cause death has no fans." (Rolling People)