Remember the Titans
- We will be perfect every day in every aspect of the game. You drop a pass, you run a mile. You miss a blocking assignment, you run a mile. You fumble the football and I will break my foot off in your John Brown hind parts...and then you will run a mile. Perfection! Let's get to work.
- Anybody know what this place is? This is Gettysburg. This is where they fought the Battle of Gettysburg. Fifty thousand men died right here on this field, fightin' the same fight that we're still fightin' amongst ourselves today. This green field right here, painted red, bubblin' with the blood of young boys. Smoke and hot lead pourin' right through their bodies. Listen to their souls, men. I killed my brother with malice in my heart. Hatred destroyed my family. You listen, you take a lesson from the dead. If we don't come together right now on this hallowed ground, we too will be destroyed, just like they were. I don't care if you like each other right now, but you will respect each other. And maybe - I don't know, maybe we'll learn to play this game like men.
- [Gerry Bertier is livid against Julius "Big Ju" Campbell putting up a poster of the Black Power salute in their quarters]
- Gerry Bertier: [lying down on bed] I ain't looking at that for two weeks man. Take it down.
- Julius 'Big Ju' Campbell: Well, you can close your eyes for two weeks for all I care. Why don't you look at your wall and I'll look at mine.
- Bertier: [getting up] I'll look wherever I want to, and I don't wanna be looking at that for two weeks.
- Big Ju: Then you better use your x-ray vision, Superman, and look right through it, cause it ain't coming down.
- [fight breaks out after Bertier forces the poster down]
- Alan Bosley: [opens door, and shouts] FIGHT! [white and black players join in the melee]
- [Gerry Bertier notices an Army officer and his son approaching the coaches]
- Bertier: Hey fellas! Look at that fruitcake!
- Coach Yoast: Gerry, just keep your mouth shut and get back on that field!
- Colonel William Bass: Coach Boone, I'm Colonel Bass. We just got transferred here from Huntington Beach, California. This is my son, Ronnie, he's a quarterback.
- Coach Boone: [shakes Sunshine's hand] How you doin' Ronnie?
- Col Bass: Coach Yoast.
- Coach Yoast: [shakes Sunshine's hand as well] My pleasure.
- Boone: We're pretty set at the, uh, quarterback Colonel. But if the boy's any good, you might want to check out Wilson or Annandale.
- Col Bass: Well, I met Coach Taber. He won't let blacks play on his team. The way I see it, if these boys can fight a war together, they can play football together. Now, he's a pretty good runner...
- [Sunshine throws football towards Gerry, who is standing far away. The football hits Gerry square in the back. He turns around, angrily]
- Big Ju: [laughing hysterically] Yeah, a fruitcake, huh?
- [Coaches Boone and Yoast argue about the harassment by racist residents]
- Coach Yoast: This is about setting a good example for our boys and the community.
- Coach Boone: I don't scratch my head 'til it itches, and I don't dance until I hear some music, I will not be intimidated. That's just the way it is.
- Yoast: You want to carry your sinful pride to your grave, that's your business, but when your sins endanger on my little girl, it becomes mine.
- Boone: My sins? You think my sins had something to do with what happened last night? I'm sorry about what happened to your daughter, I really am, but maybe you've got a small taste of what my girl has gone through. [Yoast is silent] Welcome to my life, Yoast.
- [Gerry Bertier has a word with Coach Boone after Ronnie Bass is awarded the game ball against Groveton]
- Coach Boone: What's on your mind, son?
- Gerry Bertier: I want Ray off the team, coach.
- Boone: You know my policy.
- Bertier: I do coach, and I respect it, but I know [looks at Ray] Ray missed that block on purpose. Sometimes you just got to cut a man loose.
- Boone: You're the captain. You make that decision and you support that decision.
- [Coach Yoast is beginning to realize the gravity of the refs making bad calls against the Titans even if they played within the rules]
- Coach Yoast: [to referee]You don't think I know about what's going on?
- Referee: What are you talking about?
- Coach Yoast: You call this game fair, or I'm going to the papers. I don't care if I go down with you. But before God, I swear I'll see every last one of you thrown in jail.
- Referee: You dig your own grave.
- Coach Yoast: [Smiles] All right. DEFENSE, ON ME!
- [Coach Yoast counsels an injured Gerry Bertier]
- Coach Yoast: Well, Gerry I think this is a time for reflection, for prayer...
- Gerry Bertier: Coach, I'm hurt. I ain't dead.
- Coach Yoast: Yeah, I guess you're right.
- Gerry: You know, I've been reading on activities for people in wheelchairs and such...[Smiles] They've got Olympics.
- History is written by the winners.
- Before they could win, they had to become one.
- Denzel Washington - Coach Herman Boone
- Will Patton - Coach Bill Yoast
- Wood Harris - Julius Campbell
- Ryan Hurst - Gerry Bertier
- Donald Faison - Petey Jones
- Ethan Suplee - Louie Lastik
- Kip Pardue - Ronnie "Sunshine" Bass
- Craig Kirkwood - Jerry "Rev" Harris
- Nicole Ari Parker - Carole Boone
- Krysten Leigh Jones - Nicky Boone
- Hayden Panettiere - Sheryl Yoast
- Kate Bosworth - Emma Hoyt
- Earl C. Poitier - Blue Stanton
- Ryan Gosling - Alan Bosley
- Gregory Alan Williams - Coach Paul "Doc" Hines
- Burgess Jenkins - Ray Budds
↑Jump back a section
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language