Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
Last modified on 20 May 2013, at 05:01
↑Jump back a section
- The mosques are our barracks, the domes our helmets, the minarets our bayonets and the faithful our soldiers...
- Erdogan was referring to the poem “The Soldiers Prayer,” written (in 1912) by Turkish nationalist poet Ziya Gokalp, quoted in the British News Channel BBC News. 
- In other words, the bar should be maintained at the level of a pluralistic and participatory democracy.
- But foremost, I do not subscribe to the view that Islamic culture and democracy cannot be reconciled.
- Everyone should unconditionally accept that Israel is an indispensable element of the Middle Eastern mosaic.
- There exists an unmistakable demand in the Middle East and in the wider Muslim world for democratization.
- There are people who say that "Gül can't be my president". These people don't have good manners for and they should renounce their Turkish citizenship foremost this man will be chosen democratically by the people.
- (2007), quoted in the Turkish newspaper Haberturk. 
- We are all human beings. (original: Hepimiz insanız)
- (February, 2008) during his speech commemorating 9 Turkish arson victims in Ludwigshafen, Germany. 
- Mr. Peres, you are older than me. And your voice is very loud. I know that it is because you feel guilty. You better know that I will not sound that loud. And when killing is the case, you know how to kill very well. I know how you killed the children on the beaches, I know how you shot them. Two ex-prime ministers of your country once told me important things. You have had such prime ministers who said, "When I enter Palestine on a tank, I feel [in a different way] happy." You have had PMs who said to me "I feel happy when I am on a tank while entering Palestine." And you give me those numbers. I would release their names, in case some of you might be curious of. I also condemn those who acclaim this cruelty, because I think it is a crime against humanity as well.
- During a discussion panel at 2009 World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland about the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. 
- Those who do not want to take a side will be eliminated (read as: irrelevant for) from the process.
- (2010), quoted in the Turkish newspaper the Todays Zaman.