- To the trenches! (A las trincheras! in Spanish)
- On election night, November 4, 1980, in a call to his supporters to protest the election results after a controversial loss to his opponent, Carlos Romero Barceló by 3,503 votes.
- I'm willing to stand up and take it - take whatever I have to take - not to be pushed around. If I get hit from all sides, I get hit from all sides. As long as I believe I'm standing on the right ground, I'll hold.
- Radio interview, quoted by the Associated Press, June 4, 1991.
Quotes about Hernández ColónEdit
- It's very consistent with him, the more he can keep to himself, the better. He's a very closed-door executive, and he doesn't like interference.
- Andrew Viglucci, editor of the San Juan Star, on Hernández Colón's attitude towards the press, June 4, 1991.