- From that moment on, I realized Bobby was my responsibility.
- There are seven lost secret fascinations and abilities. They are that: animals can talk; your favorite blanket is woven from a fabric so mighty, that once pulled over your head, it becomes an impenetrable force field, nothing is too heavy to lift with the aid of a cape; your hand, held forefinger out and thumb up, actually fires bullets; jumping from any height with an umbrella is completely safe; monsters exist and can be both seen an done battle with; and the greatest, most special and regrettable loss of all: the ability to fly.
- [When the bullies showed up] We knew we were dead instantly,the way you always know you're in for it when bigger kids show up. It's a sixth sense you never lose.
- [on getting the idea to sell golf balls] It was money, I didn't know how it would help but I knew we were better off if we had some than if we didn't.
- We called him 'The king', because... that's what he liked to be called.
- History is all in the mind of the teller. Truth is all in the telling.
- [about The King] Bobby: He's coming back, Mike. It's not mom's fault, but he's coming back.
- Boy #1: Dad, he promised to let me play with it, now he says he didn't and he won't.
- Older Mike: Did you promise?
- [other son nods]
- Older Mike: Well, you can't just say, "I promise," then forget about it. "I promise" are the most important words you'll ever say... well almost the most important words you'll ever say.
- [the King, completely drunk and furious, catches Mike and Bobby watching TV late at night]
- The King: Hey! What are ya doin' up? Go to bed! Go to bed! [to Bobby] Not you!
- Mike: Yeah, but...
- The King: [cuts Mike off] Bobby, come here! Mikey, you go to bed. Bobby, you come here!
- Mike: But I wanna stay...
- The King: [cuts him off again] GO TO BED! Come here, Bobby. Come HERE! Come here.
- [the King grabs and pulls Bobby towards him; Shane, the family dog, growls whilst Mikey cries]
- The King: What did I tell ya? What did I tell ya? Why don't you listen to me? Why don't ever listen to what I TELL YOU TO DO? GET TO BED, YOU LITTLE SON-OF-A-BITCH!
- [a few minutes later, Bobby, in tears, walks into the room]
- Bobby: [to Mike] We can't stay up so late anymore.
- Somewhere inside every person...someplace inside every heart...is a power that turns fear into courage...and makes dreams take flight. ...Powered by imagination.
Last modified on 20 September 2013, at 14:13