Plants are living organisms belonging to the kingdom Plantae. Precise definitions of the kingdom vary, but as the term is used here, plants include familiar organisms such as trees, flowers, herbs, bushes, grasses, vines, ferns, mosses, and green algae. The group is also called green plants or Viridiplantae in Latin. They generally obtain most of their energy from sunlight via photosynthesis using chlorophyll contained in chloroplasts, which gives them their green color.
- A woodland in full color is awesome as a forest fire, in magnitude at least, but a single tree is like a dancing tongue of flame to warm the heart.
- Hal Borland, Sundial of the Seasons (1964).
- Those tall flowering-reeds which stand,
In Arno like a sheaf of sceptres, left
By some remote dynasty of dead gods.
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Aurora Leigh (1856), Book VII, reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 660.
- The shad-bush, white with flowers,
Brightened the glens; the new leaved butternut
And quivering poplar to the roving breeze
Gave a balsamic fragrance.
- William Cullen Bryant, The Old Man's Counsel, line 28; reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 812.
- The flower is the poetry of reproduction. It is an example of the eternal seductiveness of life.
- Jean Giraudoux, The Enchanted (1933).
- I think that I shall never see/ A poem lovely as a tree.
- Joyce Kilmer, Trees and Other Poems (1914).
- The gadding vine.
- John Milton, Lycidas (1637), line 40.
- There is that in the glance of a flower which may at times control the greatest of creation's braggart lords.
- John Muir, A Thousand-Mile Walk to the Gulf (1916).
- Plants will react quite sharply to an abortion. The fetus, however, will also react to the death of an animal in the family, and will be acquainted with the unconscious psychic relationships within the family long before it reaches the sixth month. The plants in a house are also quite aware of the growing fetus; the plants will also pick up the fact that a member of the family is ill, often in advance of physical symptoms. They are that sensitive to the consciousness within cellular structure. Plants will also know whether a fetus is male or female.
- Jane Roberts, The Seth Material. (1970), p. 318
- A Sensitive Plant in a garden grew,
And the young winds fed it with silver dew,
And it opened its fan-like leaves to the light,
And clothed them beneath the kisses of night.
- For the Sensitive Plant has no bright flower;
Radiance and odour are not its dower;
It loves, even like Love, its deep heart is full,
It desires what it has not, the beautiful.
- Pun-provoking thyme.
- William Shenstone, The Schoolmistress (1737-48), Stanza 11.
- Trees are the earth's endless effort to speak to the listening heaven.
- Rabindranath Tagore, Fireflies (1928).
- Some to the holly hedge
Nestling repair; and to the thicket some;
Some to the rude protection of the thorn.
- James Thomson, The Seasons, Spring (1728), line 634.
- Us sing and dance, make faces and give flower bouquets, trying to be loved. You ever notice that trees do everything to git attention we do, except walk?
- Alice Walker, The Color Purple (1982).
- To me the meanest flower that blows can give/ Thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears.
- William Wordsworth, Ode: Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood (1803).