|The neutrality of this article is disputed.
Please see discussion on the talk page.
Rabbi Ovadia Yosef (23 September 1920 – 7 October 2013) was a Sephardi Chief Rabbi of Israel, chief authority of the Shas ultraorthodox party. He is highly revered in the religious world, especially in the Sephardi and Mizrahi communities for his erudition and Torah scholarship.
- It is easy for a rabbi to establish prohibitions, but a rabbi's real strength is to teach Torah and rule on lawwith an emphasis on what is permitted.
- Quoted in Jewish Chronicle, 11 Oct 2013 page 22
- Saving a life overrides territories.
- Sentence according to Jewish law, 1979
- Hebrew source
- It is forbidden to be merciful to them. You must send missiles to them and annihilate them. They are evil and damnable. […] The Lord shall return the Arabs' deeds on their own heads, waste their seed and exterminate them, devastate them and vanish them from this world.
- There was a tsunami and there are terrible natural disasters, all of this because of too little Torah study. Where there is Torah it sustains the world. There are negros there [in New Orleans]. Negros will study Torah? Let's bring them a tsunami, drown them. Hundreds of thousands were left without a shelter. Tens of thousands died. All of this is because they have no God.
- They don't observe the Sabbath, they don't observe the Torah, they don't pray, they don't put on phylacteries every day. Is it any wonder that they're killed? It's no wonder. May the Almighty have mercy on them and bring them back to religion.
- "Israel rabbi in fallen troops row". BBC News. 27 August 2007.
About Ovadia YosefEdit
- The most significant halachic authority of the last 100 years, whose positions helped fashion a balanced and moderate Judaism.
- Obituary Jewish Chronicle, 11 Oct 2013 page 33