Nowhere Man was a 1995 US television series starring Bruce Greenwood. Created by Lawrence Hertzog, the series aired Monday nights on UPN. Despite critical acclaim, including TV Guide's label of "The season's coolest hit," the show was cancelled after only one season.
Each episode begins with the same expository intro, a voice-over by the protagonist:
"My name is Thomas Veil, or at least it was. I'm a photographer. I had it all: a wife, Alyson, friends, a career. And in one moment it was all taken away, all because of a single photograph. I have it; they want it; and they will do anything to get the negative. I'm keeping this diary as proof that these events are real. I know they are. They...have to be."
This intro is separate from the opening credits.
- The battles that I have fought with the enemy have not compared with the ones I have fought with myself. It's been a constant struggle to maintain the hope and faith that one day I'll get my life back.
- Reality depends on perspective.
- Take one step forward two steps back.
- Well, that would be telling. (to Alyson)
- There are six billion people on the planet today. Some say that makes individual lives more inconsequential, more desperate than ever before, not because of the numbers themselves but because of the anonymity. It's what makes us cling to those few precious memories that make us who we are, this is why a single photograph can have such importance and power, why the act of just holding it can validate an entire existence.
- No matter how much you take away, everyone has something that belongs to them, to them and nobody else. Everyone has something and no matter how deep you dig, you'll never get it.
- I took photographs because I thought they were a record of the facts, an unblinking eye, and that my camera was a recorder of truth.
- The truth is unforgiving, don't shoot the messenger.
- Trust me, you will always be a mystery. (to Alyson)
- Just because you can't explain something, it doesn't make the opposite of that something the truth.
- As more of my memories come back, it becomes increasingly harder to distinguish fact from fiction, reality from utter fabrication. But, I must press on. Finding the truth is my only road home.
- It's a thin thread that separates the life I once had
- The minute something seems familiar to me it becomes suspicious
- Soon, all my memories will be gone. Without ceasing to breathe, I will cease to exist
- I saw the truth
- You really hate me, don't you? Well, you created me, you son of a bitch. The man standing here with his finger on the trigger is your creation, and the rest of your life is up to me. All I have to do, I just have to make one small simple decision. A man like you is probably wondering why I would even hesitate. I mean, it's just a life, isn't it?...There are so many others. I mean, why should a person hesitate about taking one here and there...at the end of the day it's kind of like turning off a LIGHT SWITCH! (Pause) But then that would make me you. And that's something I could never live with. (to Richard Grace)
- All hell broke loose when you stepped out of the toilet in that restaurant and couldn't find your old lady.
- Every time you think you've got something, it's gone
- Hope? Let me tell you what you'll start hoping for. You'll hope that they'll make another move at you, that the next game will be a good one. You'll look forward to their making the next move because it keeps you sharp thinking that you can slip through it one more time.
Dave "Eddie" PowersEdit
- You're supposed to see the tricks, puppy pal, not the mirrors.
- You'll never beat 'em at their own game.
- Everything they give you they can take back. Everything you thought you had, you don't. Absolute zero, Gentle Jack, bottom line
- That's it! Put your faith in the medical profession, buy Blue Cross! You don't have any friends!
- "Well, that would be telling."-Alyson, to Thomas Veil
- "I want you to know that your pursuit of the truth, sometimes relentless pursuit of the truth, even though I hate it sometimes, I think it's the noblest quality you have. It's the reason I love you so much."- Laura