Norman Alfred William Lindsay (22 February 1879 – 21 November 1969) was an Australian artist, sculptor, writer, editorial cartoonist and scale modeler, as well as being a highly talented boxer.
- A writer who presents men and women as creatures truncated below the waist is exposed as one who goes about without his trousers saying, 'see, I have had my testicles removed.'
- Every mind which has given itself to self-expression in art is aware of a directing agency outside its conscious control which it has agreed to label 'inspiration'.
- If anyone assumes that going one's own way is the easy way, they are very much in error. There's no harder way to go.
- Sex is not only the basis of life, it is the reason for life.
- The best love affairs are those we never had.
The Salt Junk Sarah
Oh, rolling round the ocean,
From a far and foreign land,
May suit the common notion
That a sailor's life is grand.
But as for me, I'd sooner be
A roaring here at home
About the rolling, roaring life
Of them that sails the foam.
For the homeward-bounder's chorus,
Which he roars across the foam,
Is all about chucking a sailor's life,
And settling down at home.
Home, home, home,
That's the song of them that roam,
The song of the roaring, rolling sea
Is all about rolling home.