- A bicycle shed is a building; Lincoln Cathedral is a piece of architecture. Nearly everything that encloses space on a scale sufficient for a human being to move in is a building; the term architecture applies only to buildings designed with a view to aesthetic appeal.
- An Outline of European Architecture (Harmondsworth: Penguin,  1957), p. 23.
- Pevsner's career is a prism through which to view the world of art history as it developed in England in the middle of the twentieth century.
- Susie Harries, "Nikolaus Pevsner: The Life" (2011), page ix
- Pevsner was very much the German bourgeois Jew - a certain amount of austerity and not a lot of giggles.
- Susie Harries, "Nikolaus Pevsner: The Life" (2011), page 663