Night Moves is a 1975 neo-noir film about a private detective who gets hired on to what seems a standard missing person case, as an aging Hollywood actress wants him to find and return her stepdaughter. He travels to Florida to find her, but begins to see a connection with the runaway girl, the world of Hollywood stuntmen, and a suspicious mechanic when an unsolved murder comes to light.
- Listen Delly, I know it doesn't make much sense when you're sixteen. Don't worry. When you get to be forty, it isn't any better.
- You told me fairy tales... About Malone... Billy Danreuther... The President getting shot... Your erect nipples!
- When we're all as free as Delly there'll be rioting in the streets.
- Joey Ziegler: He'd fuck a woodpile on the chance there was a snake in it.
- Joey Ziegler: Well, the world is getting smaller, the kids are getting younger and I'm getting drunk!
- Marv Ellman: There's nothing like having a mother and a daughter. Gives you sort of a kind of perspective.
- Ellen Moseby: [of a football game] Who's winning?
- Harry Moseby: Nobody. One side is just losing slower than the other.
- Paula: Oh, that's a beauty.
- Harry: Yeah, but he didn't see it. He played something else and he lost. He must have regretted it every day of his life. I know I would have. As a matter of fact I do regret it, and I wasn't even born yet.
- Paula: That's no excuse.
- Harry: What happened to your face?
- Quentin: I won second prize in a fight.
- Arlene Iverson: Are you the kind of detective who, once you get on a case nothing can get you off it? Bribes, beatings, the allure of a woman...
- Harry: That was true in the old days. Before we had a union.
- Paula: How do you resist Delly?
- Harry: Oh, I just think good, clean thoughts, like Thanksgiving, George Washington's teeth.
- Paula: Where were you when Kennedy got shot?
- Harry: Which Kennedy?
- Paula: Any Kennedy.
- Harry: When the president got shot, I was on my way to San Diego. Football game. When Bobby got shot, I was sitting in a car waiting for a guy to come out of a house with his girlfriend. Working on a divorce case. One of those times I wish I was in another business.
- Nick: Where do you know Arlene from?
- Joey Ziegler: From way back.
- Nick: Oh, yeah? What's your name again? Ziegler? Joey Ziegler?
- Joey Ziegler: Joey Ziegler.
- Nick: I don't think you were one of the names.
- Joey Ziegler: What names?
- Nick: One of those she cheated on Grastner with. I got them all.
- Joey Ziegler: I'm one of a small, select group. We hold meetings in a telephone booth.
- Maybe he would find the girl... maybe he would find himself.
- What private eye Harry Moseby doesn't know about the girl he's looking for... just might get him killed.