Mission to Mars is a science fiction film directed by Brian De Palma from an original screenplay written by Jim Thomas, John Thomas, and Graham Yost. In 2020, a manned Mars exploration mission goes awry. American astronaut Jim McConnell coordinates a rescue mission for a colleague. Film inspiration was partly from the Disney attraction of the same name, to be the second Disney film based on a theme park attraction, following the 1997 made-for-TV movie Tower of Terror.
- Woody Blake: You're just not man enough to wear jewelry.
- Jim McConnell: There's pressure in here.
- Terri Fisher: Above Mars atmosphere? That's impossible.
- Jim McConnell: We're millions of miles from Earth inside a giant white face. What's impossible?
- Terri Fisher: The genetic difference between men and apes is only three percent. But that three percent gave us Einstein, Mozart...
- Phil Ohlmyer: ...Jack The Ripper.
- Luke Graham: Phil, do you read me?
- Phil Ohlmyer: Phil isn't here right now, he left for Earth FIVE MINUTES AGO, please leave a message after the beep!
- Terri Fisher: When we get back, we have GOT to try this in the simulator...
- Jim McConnell: They're us. We're them.
- Jim McConnell: What is she now?
- Phil Ohlmyer: A frog...?
- Woody Blake: Some couples dance, others go to Mars.
[leaving the BBQ in his 1959 Corvette]
- Woody Blake: Internal combustion, boys. Accept no substitutes.
- Luke Graham: Come on - three commanders. One ship. I don't think that's gonna work. There's not enough rocket fuel in the world to get those egos off the ground.
- Woody Blake: Okay, people let's look sharp now. We're gonna run this simulation one more time. If we overshoot, there's no coming back.
- Phil Ohlmyer: Yeah, and drifting through eternity will ruin your whole day.
- Jim McConnell: Like Maggie said: To stand on a new world and look beyond it to the next one.
- Gary Sinise as Jim McConnell
- Tim Robbins as Woody Blake
- Don Cheadle as Luke Graham
- Connie Nielsen as Terri Fisher
- Jerry O'Connell as Phil Ohlmyer
- Kim Delany as Maggie McConnell
- Peter Outerbridge as Sergei Kirov
- Kavan Smith as Nicholas Willis
- Jill Teed as Renée Coté
- Elise Neal as Debra Graham
- Robert Bailey, Jr. as Bobby Graham
- Taylor Jones as Daniel Lederman
- Armin Mueller-Stahl as Ramier Beck