- James Hetfield - lead vocals, rhythm guitar (1981 - present)
- Kirk Hammett - lead guitar (1983 - present)
- Dave Mustaine - lead guitar, backing vocals (1981 - 1983); (fired from Metallica and later formed Megadeth)
- Ron McGovney - bass, backing vocals (1981 - 1982); (replaced by Cliff Burton in 1982. Subsequently ceased his career as a musician and auctioned all his Metallica possessions on eBay.
- Cliff Burton - bass, backing vocals (1982 - 1986); (died in a freak bus accident on September 27, 1986 in Sweden)
- Jason Newsted - bassist (1986 - 2001); (was hired after Cliff Burton's death - 2002; joined Voivod - present; briefly joined Ozzy Osbourne)
- Robert Trujillo - bass (2003 - present); (left Ozzy Osbourne, and joined Metallica after Jason Newsted quit)
- Lars Ulrich - drums (1981 - present)
- "No life 'til leather / We're gonna kick some ass tonight!"
- "When we start to rock we never wanna stop again!"
"The Four Horsemen"
- "Time / Has taken it's toll on you / The lines that crack your face /Famine / Your body it has torn through / Withered in every place / Pestilence / For what you had to endure / And what you have put others through / Death / Deliverance for you for sure / There is nothing you can do"
- "Living and dying, laughing and crying / Once you have seen it you will never be the same."
- "So come on / Jump in the fire!"
- "Jump by your will or be taken by force / I'll get you either way."
- "But we'll never stop / We'll never quit / 'Cause we're Metallica'
- "The leathered armies have prevailed / The Phantom Lord has never failed / Smoke is lifting from the ground / The riding volume Metal sound"
- "No mercy for what we are doing / No thought to even what we have done / We don't need to feel the sorrow / No remorse for the helpless one"
- "Another day, another death / Another sorrow, another breath"
- "Scanning the scene in the city tonight / We're looking for you to start up a fight"
- "Searching / Seek and destroy!"
- "Joining together to take on the world with our heavy metal / Spreading the message to everyone here, Come let yourself go"
"Fight Fire with Fire"
- "Do unto others as they have done to you, but what the hell is this world coming to?"
- "Blow the universe into nothingness"
- "Who made you God to say / I'll take your life from you"
- "Guilty as charged / But damn it / That ain't right!"
- "Take a look to the sky / Just before you die / It's the last time he will"
- "Yesterday seems as though it never existed / Death greets me warm / Now I will just say good-bye"
- "Life it seems to fade away / Drifting further everyday / Getting lost within myself / nothing matters no one else"
- "No one but me / Can save myself / But it's too late"
"Trapped Under Ice"
- "From deep sleep, I have broken away / No one knows, no one hears what I say"
- "Life is for my own, to live my own way."
- "No damn chains can hold me to the ground!"
- "So let it be written / So let it be done / I'm sent here by the Chosen one / So let it be written / So let it be done / To kill the first born Pharaoh's Son / I'm Creeping Death!"
- "Crushing all decievers, mashing non-believers!"
- "Smashing through the boundries / Lunacy has found me / cannot stop the battery!"
- "Taste me, you will see, more is all you need"
- "Master of puppets / I'm pulling your strings / Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams"
- "Master, Master / Where's the dreams that I've been after? Master, Master / You promised only lies / Laughter, Laughter / All I hear and see is laughter / Laughter, Laughter / Laughing at my cries"
- "Hell is worth all that / Natural habitat / Just a rhyme without a reason / Never-ending maze / Drift on numbered days / Now your life is out of season"
"The Thing That Should Not Be"
- "Messenger of fear in sight / Dark deception kills the light!"
- "Not dead which eternal lie / Stranger eons death may die!" (from H.P. Lovecraft. First appeared in his short story "The Call of Cthulhu" as a line from the book of the dead, "Necronomicon".)
- "Dream the same thing every night, I see our freedom in my sight, no locked doors, no windows barred, no things to make my brain seem scarred."
- "They keep me locked up in this cage, can't they see it's why my brain says rage?"
- "Mirror stares back hard / Kill, it's such a friendly word, seems the only way for reaching out again."
- "Got some death to do!"
- "No more can they keep us in / listen, damn it! We will win"
- "Mutiny in the air!"
- "I was born for dying!"
- "Back to the front! / You will do, what I say, when I say / Back to the front! / You will die, when I say, you must die / Back to the Front! / You coward, you servant...you blindman."
- "Soldier boy/ Made of clay / Now an empty shell / Tewnty-one / Only son / but he served us well / bred to kill / not to care / Do just as we say / Finished here/ Greetings death / He's yours to take away"
- "Life planned out before my birth, nothing could I say / had no chance to see myself, molded day by day / Looking back I realize, nothing have I done / left to die with only friend. / Alone I clench my gun"
- "Spineless from the start"
- "Send me money, send me green / Heaven you will meet / Make a contribution / And you'll get a better seat / Bow to leper messiah"
- "Lie! Lie! Lie! Lie!"
- "Honesty is my only Excuse"
- "Slamming through / don't fuck with razorback / Stepping out? / You'll feel our hell on your back!"
- "Blood will follow blood / Dying time is here / (whispering) Damage, Incorporated."
- "Fuck it all and fucking no regrets!"
- "Blackened is the end / Winter it will send"
- "See our mother / Put to death / See our mother die!"
- Fire / Is the outcome of hypocrisy / Darkest potency / To the exit of humanity / Color our world blackened!"
- "Hammer of Justice crushes you / Overpower"
- "Seeking no truth / Winning is all / Fighting so grim, so true, so real!"
- "Nothing can save us!"
- "Freedom of choice is made for you my friend / Freedom of speech is words that they will bend / Freedom no longer frees you!"
- "Truths to you are lies to me"
- "I can't remember anything, can't tell if this is true or dream, deep down inside I feel to scream, this terrible silence stops me."
- "Hold my breath as I wish for death / oh please God wake me!"
- "Darkness / Imprisoning me / All that I see / Absolute horror / I cannot live / I cannot die / Trapped in myself / Body, my holding cell... / Landmine / Has taken my sight / Taken my speech / Taken my hearing / Taken my arms / Taken my legs / Taken my soul / Left me with life in hell"
The Shortest Straw
- "Suspicion is your name / Your honesty to blame / Put dignity to shame / Dishonor!"
- "Anger, Misery / You'll suffer unto me"
- "Drink up / Shoot in / Let the beatings begin"
The Frayed Ends of Sanity
- "Old habits reappear, fighting the fear of fear, growing consipiracy, everyone's after me, frayed ends of sanity, hear them calling.... hear them calling me!"
- "Twisting under schizophrenia! Falling deep into dementia!"
- "When a man lies he murders some part of the world / These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives / All this I cannot bear to witness any longer / Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home" - borrowed from the chronicles of Thomas the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson
- "Dear mother, dear father / You clipped my wings before I learned to fly / Unspoiled, outspoken / I've outgrown that fucking lullaby!"
- "Same thing I've always heard from you / do as I say not as I do!"
- "Innocence, torn from me without your shelter / Barred reality, I'm living blindly"
- "I'm in hell without you / Cannot cope without you two / Shocked at the world that I see / Innocent victim please rescue me!"
- "Exit light / Enter night / Take my hand/ We’re off to never never land!"
- "Dreams of war / Dreams of Liars / Dreams of Dragon's Fire / And of things that will bite!"
- "I'm your dream, make you real / I'm your eyes when you must steal / I'm your pain when you can't feel / sad but true"
- "Hate! I'm you're hate! I'm your hate when you want love!"
Holier Than Thou
- "You lie so much, you believe yourself / Judge not, lest ye be judged yourself!"
- "What I've felt, what I've known, never shined through in what I've shown / Never be, never see, won't see what might have been / What I've felt, what I've known, never shined through in what I've shown / Never free, never me, so I dub thee Unforgiven"
- "The Old Man then prepares / To die regretfully / The old man here is me"
- "Rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond / call me what you will!"
- "But I'll take my time anywhere / I'm free to speak my mind anywhere / And I'll redefine anywhere.
Anywhere I roam / Where I lay my head is home / Carved upon my stone / My body lies but still I roam"
- "Love it or leave it"
Through the Never
- "On through the never / We must go / On through the never / Out to the / Edge of forever / We must go / On through the never / Then never comes"
- "Forever trusting who we are and nothing else matters"
- Never cared for what they say / Never cared for games they play / Never cared for what they do / Never cared for what they know / And I know"
Of Wolf and Man
- "Wildness is the preservation of the world / so seek the wolf in thyself!"
- "Pride you took / Pride you feel / Pride that you felt when you'd kneel"
- "Broken is the promise, betrayal / The healing hand, held back by the deepened nail / Follow the God that failed!"
My Friend of Misery
- "You just stood there screaming / Fearing no one would listen to you"
- "You insist that the weight of the world, it should be on your shoulders"
The Struggle Within
- "Home is not a home, it becomes a hell / Turning it into your prison cell"
- "Outta my way / Outta my day / Out of your mind and into mine / Into no one / Into not one / Into your step but out of time"
- "Damn it all down / Damn it unbound / Damn it all down to hell again"
2 X 4
- "I'm gonna make you, shake you, take you / I'm gonna be the one who breaks you"
- "Friction, fusion, retribution!"
The House Jack Built
- "The higher you are / the farther you fall / the longer the walk / the farther you crawl"
- "Open my eyes just to have them closed again."
- "It hates you so hold me / until it sleeps"
- "So tear me open, but beware! There's things inside without a care."
- "Then it all crashes down / And you break your crown / And you point your finger but there's no one around! / Just want one thing, just to play the king / Then the castles crumble and you're left with just a name / Where's your crown, King Nothing!"
- "Careful what you wish / Careful what you say / Careful what you wish, you may regret it / Careful what you wish, you just might get it!"
- "Mama they try and break me"
- "The window burns / To light the way back home"
- "Caught under wheels roll / Oh the bleeding of me"
- "I'm diggin' my way... I'm digging my way to something better."
- "The man takes another bullet / He's been fooled again"
Poor Twisted Me
- "I drown without a sea / Lungs fill with sorrow / Lungs fill with misery"
Wasting My Hate
- "Ain't gonna waste my hate / But I'm so greedy when they say / Better to give than to receive"
- "Son, your life's an open book, don't close it 'fore it's done"
- "The brightest flame burns quickest"
- "Mama, now I'm coming home, I'm not all you wished of me"
- "Forgive me father for I have sinned / Find me guilty of the life I feel within"
- "All things wash away / But blood stained the sun red today"
The Outlaw Torn
- "The more I search, the more my need / For you / The more I bless, the more I bleed / For you"
- "Gimme fuel / Gimme fire / Gimme that which I desire"
- "Fuck'em man / White knuckle tight"
- "Fortune fame, mirror vain, gone insane / But the Memory Remains"
- "Ash to ash / dust to dust / fade to black"
- "Snake! I am the snake! / Tempting, that bite you take!"
- "Black heart scarring darker still"
- "I take this key and I bury it in you, because you're Unforgiven too"
- "Oh, can't stop this train from rolling / Oh, no, nothing brings me down / No, I couldn't stop this train from rolling on and on on / No, no, forever holding on"
- "Don't go looking for snakes"
- "See you crawling in"
Carpe Diem Baby
- "Draw lead / Piss wine / Sink teeth / All mine / Stoke fire / Break neck / Suffer through this / Cheat on death"
- "Live to win / Dare to fail"
- "Swing the noose again / Pierce the apple skin / You bit more than you need / Now you're choking on the bad seed"
- "Off the veil, stand revealed / Bring it on, break the seal / At the mercy, the cat is out / Spit it up, spit it out"
Where the Wild Things Are
- "Steal dream and give to you / Shoplift a thought or two"
- "I'm the filthy one on Bourbon Street, you walk on by / I'm the little boy that pushes hard and makes him cry"
- "My eyes seek reality / My fingers seek my veins"
- "So I cry to the alley way, confess all to the rain, but I lie, straight to the mirror, one I've broken to match my face."
- "The trash fire is warm, but nowhere safe from the storm, and I can't bear to see, what I've let me be, so wicked and worn"
- "Throw all your bullets in the fire / And run like hell"
- "Why cure the fever? Whatever happened to sweat?"
- "Renew our faith which way we can / To fall in love with life again"
- "Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel was just a freight train comin' your way"
- "Squeeze the world, and drip it down my throat again!"
- "Coming up for air!"
- "Do you bury me when I'm gone? Do you teach me while I'm here? Just as soon as I belong, then it's time I disappear!"
- "Hey hey hey, here I go now, here I go into new days."
- "My life-style determines my death-style"
- "Birth is pain / Life is pain / Death is pain / It's all the same"
- "You live it or lie it."
- "Fuck it all and fucking no regrets."
- "I'm madly in anger with you!"
- "This is the voice of silence no more"
- "Are we the people / Some kind of monster"
- "This monster lives!"
- "Ominous, I am in us!"
- "My court is in session and now I slam my gravel down!"
- "I'm judge and I'm jury and I'm executioner too."
- "I'm ok, just go away / Into distance let me fade / I'm ok, just go away / I'm ok, but please don't stray too far"
- "The motherfuckers got in my head / tried to make me someone else instead"
- "Not only do I not know the answer / I don't even know what the question is"
Shoot Me Again
- "Shoot me again, I ain't dead yet."
- "All the shots I take / I spit back at you. / All the shit you fake / Comes back to haunt you. / All the shots, all the shots. / All the shots I take / What difference did I make? / All the shots I take / I spit back at you."
- "She holds my hand and I lie to get a smile"
- "Wash your back so you don't stab mine."
- "Cross my heart hope not to die / Swallow evil, ride the sky / I lose myself in a crowded room / You fool, you fool, it'll be here soon"
- "Get the fuck out of here / I just wanna get the fuck / away from me / I rage, I glaze / I hurt I hate / I hate it all/ why why why me?"
- "Tear it down! Strip the layers off!"
- "Truth and dare / Peeling back the skin / Acid wash / Ghost white / Ultra clean / Wanna be skeleton / Clear eyes / Diamond eyes / Strip the past of mine / My sweet turpentine / Super white bones / Bones of you and I"
All Within My Hands
- "I'll die if I let go/ control is love / love is control"
- "I will only let you breathe / My air that you receive / Then we'll see if I let you love me"
Last modified on 10 January 2013, at 13:07↑Jump back a section
That Was Just Your Life
- "Almost like your life / almost like your endless fight / curse the day is long / realize you don't belong / disconnect somehow / never stop the bleeding now / almost like your fight / and there it went / almost like your life!"
The End of the Line
- "Drop the hourglass of time / Spilling sand, we will not find / As we gather here today / We bid farewell / The slave becomes the master"
- "Death Contagious Deity"
- "They scratch me / They scrape me / They cut and rape me!"
- "You rise / You fall / You're down and you rise again / What dont kill ya make ya more strong "
- "Love is a four-letter word / And never spoken here / Love is a four-letter word / here in this prison."
- "I suffer this no longer / I'll put an end to / This I swear / This I swear / the sun will shine / This I swear! / This I swear! This / I / Swear!"
- "We hunt you down without mercy / hunt you down all nightmare long"
- "Still lies / immolation / still lies / infamy / Hallucination / Heresy / Still you run / What's to come / What's to be?"
- "Suicide / I've already died / you're just the funeral I've been waiting for / Cyanide / Living dead inside / break this empty shell forever more."
- "Say is that rain, or are they tears? / They stain your concrete face for years /The crying weeping shedding strife / Year after year, life after life"
- "How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go? / Search for Seas of Gold, how come it's got so cold? / How can I be lost? In remembrance I relive / So how can I blame you, when it's me I can't forgive?"
- "Forgive me... / Forgive me not... / Forgive me... / Forgive me not... / Forgive me... / Forgive me not... / Forgive me... / Forgive me! Why can't I forgive me!"
- "Judas lives recite this vow / I’ve become your new god now!"
- "Deadly vision / Prophecy reveal / Death Magnetic / Pulling closer still"
- "Tyrant awaken my apocalypse! / Demon awaken my apocalypse! / Heaven awaken my apocalypse! / Suffer forever / My apocalypse!