Merlin (1998 film)
- Directed by Steve Barron. Written by Edward Khmara with teleplay written by David Stevens and Peter Barnes.
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- I knew I would never see her again.
- I had won. I was trying to smile but it was the smile of desolution. Inside, I felt only the pity and the terror and the waste of it all. Everyone I had ever loved, and who ever loved me — all gone... all gone down...
- They say that when you're unhappy, time slows to a crawl. On the other hand, when your happy ... my childhood must have been very happy, for it was over in a flash.
- I'll kill you anyway I can, Vortigern...but I will kill you.
- Only one tear was shed for Vortigern, and his pride had cast it away. He paid for it with his life.
- Things fall apart, they say. Uther had betrayed me, killed Cornwall. But then, I'd betrayed Igraine by helping Uther seduce her. So the wheel of life turns - one betrayal leads to another and another. The innocent die. It haunted me for the rest of my life.
- A reputation is like glass, once cracked it can never be repaired.
- I was his tutor. I didn't teach him magic. I taught him ethics and morals. It is much more difficult, believe me.
- And you can tell Her Royal High and Mighty Queen Mab that magic or no magic, if she harms you in any way, I'll have her guts for my boot laces.
- Magic has no power over the human heart.
- You've been sliding down the ladder of success so quickly these last few years you must have got splinters in your backside.
- [to Queen Mab] You are so cold! If I would punch you in the heart I'd break my fist.
- Father Abbot: Faith is Supreme, of course. But love is even better.
- Frik: Handsome is as handsome does. What does that mean? I never really understood the phrase.
- Lady of the Lake: Good king. Bad king. You judge too easily Merlin. You will learn.
- Lady of the Lake: It’s human to make mistakes Merlin, and part of you is human, the best part.
- Lady of the Lake: My sister was right about one thing. When we are forgotten, we cease to exist.
- Vortigern: That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think.
- Merlin: You killed her.
- Queen Mab: No, I didn't.
- Merlin: You killed her like you killed my real mother.
- Queen Mab: No, I only let her die.
- Merlin: I ask you to hold Excalibur for me, until a good man comes to take it from you.
- Rock of Ages: Then I will be holding it forever...if not longer.
- [After Arthur Pendragon's birth]
- Merlin: At last. A good man, a good king. [With a crack of lightning, Mab appears]
- Mab: You're easily fooled, Merlin. Uther fooled you when he killed Cornwall...now his child is damned!
- Merlin: The boy is mine!
- Mab: He'll be his father's son! Because of him, the days of blood will go on and on...and out of it, the people will come back to me!
- Merlin: I'll see you fade into NOTHING!
- Mab: Poor Merlin. Wrong again...I'm winning.
- King Arthur Pendragon: Merlin, what should I do?
- Merlin: In the end, you must uphold the law.
- Merlin: I'm thinking of the future here, Morgan.
- Morgan Le Fay: Oh, you would think of the future, Merlin. Because the past is too painful
- King Arthur Pendragon: I made a mistake that night with Morgan. But I can't believe that I'll be condemned for all eternity for one mistake.
- Merlin: No, not by me. I'll never condemn you, Arthur.
- Morgan Le Fay: I like the old ways. The old ways gave me a son, and they made me beautiful.
- Merlin: But beauty is only an illusion.
- Morgan Le Fay: Beauty is always only an illusion, didn't you know that?
- Mordred: Why didn't you kill him, Auntie Mab?
- Queen Mab: Because that's what he wanted me to do.
- Uther: You tricked me, Merlin!
- Merlin: Come come, Uther. I'm a wizard, that's my business.
- Merlin: There will be a child; a boy. I've seen him, Uther. He's mine.
- Uther: What will you do with him?
- Merlin: Teach him honor and goodness.
- Uther: I can do that.
- Merlin: Honor and goodness, the words stick in your throat. You choke on them just as you'll choke on your vomit in the end!
- Mab: Sometimes...we can see into the future. This is you. As you will be.
- Merlin: Will I grow that old?
- Future Merlin: Have a care, young Merlin!
- Merlin: Sorry sir.
- Future Merlin: [chuckling] Oh, but you're right. Try and stay as young inside as you are now. That's another thing to watch out for, young Merlin. Don't start giving advice!
- Sam Neill — Merlin
- Helena Bonham Carter — Morgan Le Fay
- Miranda Richardson — Mab, Queen of the Old Ways/The Lady of the Lake
- John Gielgud — King Constant
- Martin Short — Frik
- Paul Curran — King Arthur Pendragon
- Jason Done — Mordred
- Rutger Hauer — King Vortigern
- Isabella Rossellini — Nimue
- Mark Jax — King Uther Pendragon
- Jeremy Sheffield — Sir Lancelot du Lac
- Daniel Brocklebank — Young Merlin
- Lena Headey — Queen Guinevere
- James Earl Jones-The Mountain King
Last modified on 22 May 2013, at 22:33