God sends meat, and the Devil sends cooks.
Meat is the flesh of an animal which is eaten. Often the use of the term is limited to the flesh of mammals.
- At even ye shall eat flesh, and in the morning ye shall be filled with bread; and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God
- Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh
- When mighty roast beef was the Englishman's food
It ennobled our hearts and enriched our blood—
Our soldiers were brave and our courtiers were good.
Oh! the roast beef of England,
And Old England's roast beef.
- Henry Fielding, "The Roast Beef of Old England", in Grub Street Opera, Act III, scene 2. Claimed for R. Leveridge.
- God sendeth and giveth both mouth and the meat.
- I cannot eat but little meat,
My stomach is not good;
But sure I think that I can drink
With him that wears a hood.
- God sends meat, and the Devil sends cooks.
- I didn't squawk about the steak, dear. I merely said I didn't see that old horse that used to be tethered outside here.
- W. C. Fields, to a waitress, in Never Give a Sucker an Even Break (1941).
- It is meat, drink, and cloth to us.
- I am a great eater of beef, and I believe that does harm to my wit.
- O! beware, my lord, of jealousy;
It is the green-ey'd monster which doth mock
The meat it feeds on.
- Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some would eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat,
And sae the Lord be thankit.
If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?
- Outdid the meat, outdid the frolic wine.
- A tale without love is like beef without mustard: insipid.
- Anatole France, La Révolte des Anges (The Revolt of the Angels), ch. 8 (1914).
- If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!
- Not eating meat is a decision, eating meat is an instinct.
- We used to have a lot of fun. We never had any problems. We always ate. The fact that we didn't have steak? Who had steak?
- Jesse Owens in Tony Gentry, Jesse Owens, Champion Athlete (1990).
- Who lives longer? the man who takes heroin for two years and dies, or a man who lives on roast beef, water and potatoes 'till 95? One passes his 24 months in eternity. All the years of the beefeater are lived only in time.
- Aldous Huxley in Kevin A. Fabiano, ed., The Shortcut: 20 Stories To Get You From Here To There (2006), p. 179.
- This dish of meat is too good for any but anglers, or very honest men.
- A king is a thing men have made for their own sakes, for quietness' sake. Just as in a family one man is appointed to buy the meat.
- I wouldn't touch a hot dog unless you put a condom on it! You realize that the job of a hot dog is to use parts of the animal that the Chinese can't figure out how to make into a belt?
- Bill Maher, Bill Maher: I'm Swiss (2005), timecode 1:11:10.
- Meat is murder.
- Original author unknown; slogan used by certain animal rights groups, reported in Maureen Duffy, Men and Beasts: An Animal Rights Handbook (1984), p. 142, as having been painted on the wall of a Surrey, England butcher shop by ALF activists on April 4, 1983.