Mean Machine is a 2001 film. The film is an adaptation of the 1974 American movie The Longest Yard, featuring football (soccer) rather than American football.Vinnie Jones starred as Danny Meehan who had it all - captain of the England soccer team, fast cars, money and fame; until he was banned from the team following accusations of match fixing an England v. Germany match and jailed three years for drunken assault on a police officer.
- Directed by Barry Skolnick.
- [Explaining why he threw the England-Germany game] It's funny, but when you're in that football world, you just don't realise what it means to people. You only find out how disappointed they are, when you let them down. I was 16 when I signed pro forms. Thought I was the business. Didn't take long for standards to start slipping. Cars, booze, bad tips for slow horses... You think you can handle it, then bang, very soon it's handling you. Before I was picking up trophies, I was 425 grand down to men nasty enough... well, even they would have put the wind up Mr Sykes. But they did give me two choices - a wheelchair for life, or a deliberate penalty against the Germans. It's not as if I've prospered. Look where I've ended up.
- [Talking to the squad before the game] Oh right lads, you wanna be nothing, prisoners...numbers...that's fine. But you win out there today and you'll have something to remember forever, talk about it over and over, because up and down the country there are cons that are pig sick of not being here in your shoes...just to have one crack at those bastards next door! Run your guts out, and you'll have somethin' in 'ere. [points towards heart] They can never touch, no parole boards, judges or nutcase governors... NOW... ask yourselves one question...ARE YOU READY? [team replies light-heartedly] ...YEAH, ARE WE? [team replies whole heartedly]...YEAH! THEN, COME ON!
- Stick that in your trophy cabinet. [gives the game ball to the governor]
- Most of the guys in here have nothing. Never had to start with. But you, you had everything they ever dreamed of. And you threw it all away.
- Danny Meehan: I'll tell you something. I didn't start off out as a youngster looking to sell my country out.
- Massive: None of us planned to be here, mate.
- Chiv: Och, away to fuck man. You were a hero in Scotland!
- Danny Meehan: Hello Mr Monk. Can you play football?
- Monk: Aye.
- Danny Meehan: Good. Would you like to play with us?
- Monk: Nah.
- Danny Meehan: We're playing the guards.
- Monk:[pause]Aye, then I'm with you.
- Chiv: Sound.
- Bob Likely: Good afternoon, I'm Bob Likely. You join us live from the recreation field.
- Bob Carter: I'm Bob Carter, and thanks again to our esteemed governor...
- [Both muffle the microphones with their hands]
- Both:[Whispering] Wanker.
- Bob Carter: ...for providing the splendid facilities that are here today as part of his rehabilitation campaign.
- [Danny Meehan is about to take a free kick in front of a wall - the ball is kicked straight to Mr Ratchett's private part]
- Bob Likely: Ooh! Right in his carrots and onions!
- Bob Carter: No nookie for Mr Ratchett.
- Bob Likely: No nookie for Mrs Ratchett neither.
- Not your usual suspects.
- 2568 prisoners locked up 23 hours a day, 7 days a week. The only escape 45 minutes each way.
- Vinnie Jones - Danny Meehan
- David Kelly - Doc
- David Hemmings - Governer
- Ralph Brown - Burton
- Vas Blackwood - Massive
- Robbie Gee - Trojan
- Geoff Bell - Ratchett
- John Forgeham - Sykes
- Sally Phillips - Tracey
- Danny Dyer - Billy the Limpet
- Jason Flemyng - Bob Likely
- Jason Statham - Monk
- Omid Djalili - Raj