Magnus Carlsen (born 30 November 1990) is a Norwegian chess Grandmaster who is currently the number one ranked player in the world. In January 2010 he became the seventh player ranked number one in the world on the official FIDE rating list.
- I am not some sort of freak. I might be very good at chess but I'm just a normal person.
- I love the game, and I love to compete, but I am not obsessed with the struggle.
- I get more upset at losing at other things than chess. I always get upset when I lose at Monopoly.
- I feel sorry for players who are always lying awake at night, brooding over their games.
- He played the Berlin, I played the most solid line, yada yada yada, let's go to the doping control.
- Magnus Carlsen on the press conference after holding Vishy Anand to a draw in the 8th game of the World championships, using only 15 minutes of his thinking time.
Quotes about CarlsenEdit
- You could say that both Fischer and Carlsen had or have the ability to let chess look simple. – Viswanathan Anand
- In six months of working with Magnus I have seen in him many of the qualities of the great champions. – Garry Kasparov