When I'm good, I'm very good. When I'm bad, I'm better.
When you got the personality, you don't need the nudity.
- Goodness had nothing to do with it, dearie.
- Response to an exclamation, "Goodness! What lovely diamonds!" in Night After Night (1932). She later used Goodness had nothing to do with it as the title of her autobiography (1953).
- Why don't you come up sometime and see me? ... Come on up, I'll tell your fortune.
- She Done Him Wrong (1933)
- Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
- I only like two kinds of men, domestic and imported.
- When I'm good, I'm very good. When I'm bad, I'm better.
- I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
- It's not the men in your life that matters, it's the life in your men.
- Between two evils, I generally like to pick the one I never tried before.
- Klondike Annie (1936) Sometimes quoted as: "When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."'
- A man in the house is worth two in the street.
- When women go wrong, men go right after them.
- One and one is two; two and two is four; and "five will get you ten" if you work it right!
- I feel like a million tonight. But one at a time.
- To a young actor: How tall are you without your horse? Six foot, seven inches. Never mind the six feet. Let's talk about the seven inches!
- I'm the kinda girl who works for Paramount by day, and Fox all night
- To her British lover about to climb in bed with 80-something Mae: She said that she hoped soon to be able to say what Paul Revere said — 'The British are coming'. This was the last one-liner Mae ever uttered on film.
- When you got the personality, you don't need the nudity.
- Quoted in "For Women, Monologues They Haven't Heard" by Susan Pomerance, Dramaline Publications (1985)
- Marriage is a fine institution, but I'm not ready for an institution.
- #149 in The 2,548 Best Things Anybody Ever Said (2006) by Robert Byrne
- Give a man a free hand and he'll run it all over you.
- #684 in The 2,548 Best Things Anybody Ever Said (2006) by Robert Byrne
- I've been in more laps than a napkin.
- #685 in The 2,548 Best Things Anybody Ever Said (2006) by Robert Byrne
- She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success wrong by wrong.
- #832 in The 2,548 Best Things Anybody Ever Said (2006) by Robert Byrne
- I've always had a weakness for foreign affairs.
Last modified on 15 September 2012, at 18:36