Kung Fu Hustle is a 2005 film about two hapless conmen on the streets of 1940s Shanghai who pretend to be the members of the ruthless Axe Gang. Their extortion scheme fails when the victims fight back, and the plot thickens when the real Axe Gang shows up. Meanwhile, the run-down tenement that is being attacked, the Pig Sty, turns out to count amongst its residents superhuman kung-fu fighters.
- [To ice cream vendor] What're you looking at? Never seen an ice cream thief before? [Runs away without paying, laughing maniacally]
- [Shouting while puncturing football] No more soccer!
- How come you became righteous? Have you anything to say? [Sing draws a stick of candy on the ground with his blood] I can't read it, it's not in Chinese!
- [To tailor] What's with the red underwear?
- You may know kung fu... but you're still a fairy.
- In the world of kung fu, speed defines the winner.
- Don't get me wrong! I only want to kill you, or be killed by you.
- It's just a title.(Refering to the name The Beast)
- This doesn't make any sense at all.
- Axe Gang Advisor: Let's kill them all and make this place a brothel!
- Brother Sum: Ever killed anyone?
- Sing: I've always thought about it.and shut up.
- Bone: You gave him your life savings?
- Sing: Yes. I was saving to become a doctor or lawyer... but this was a chance at world peace.
- Sing: [feelingly] I realized then that good guys never win. I want to be bad. I want to be a ruthless killer!
- Bone: [looks up] Ice cream!
- [He leaves]
- Sing: Where?
- [He follows]
- Bone: Memories can be painful. To forget may be a blessing!
- Sing: [amazed] I never knew you were so deep.
- Axe Gang Advisor: So that makes you the best killers in circulation, right?
- Harpist #1: In actuality, we are just a pair of street musicians.
- Barber: Why don't you train us to be top fighters... and we'll avenge them!
- Landlady: Becoming a top fighter takes time, unless you're a natural-born kung-fu genius, and they're 1 in a million.
- Barber: [Doing martial arts routine] It's obvious I'm the one!
- Landlady: [Punches him in the face, knocking him to the floor] Don't think so.
- [After Sing defeats him with the Buddhist Palm technique]
- The Beast: What is the name of your technique?
- Sing: Do you want to learn? I will teach you.
- Donut: [in English] What are you prepared to do?
- Landlord: We can't understand what you're saying!
- Landlord: [commenting on Sing's martial arts techniques] If he studies hard, he could be a doctor or a lawyer.
- Landlady: A stuntman, more likely.
- A New Comedy Unlike Anything You Have Seen Before.
- So Many Gangsters... So Little Time.
- From Walking Disaster To Kung Fu Master.