Karlheinz Stockhausen (22 August 1928 – 5 December 2007) was a German composer, and one of the most controversial composers of the 20th century. He is best known for his ground-breaking work in electronic music and controlled chance in serial composition.
- New methods change the experience, and new experiences change man. Whenever we hear sounds, we are changed, we are no longer the same, and this is more the case when we hear organized sounds; music.
- Tuning In (1981) BBC documentary on Stockhausen.
- And when they encounter works of art which show that using new media can lead to new experiences and to new consciousness, and expand our senses, our perception, our intelligence, our sensibility, then they will become interested in this music.
↑Jump back a section
- [The attacks of September 11 were] the greatest work of art in the cosmos … compared to that, we composers are nothing.
- According to Stockhausen, a journalist in Hamburg seriously distorted his statement, and Stockhausen claims that he referred to the attacks as "Lucifer's greatest work of art".