I don't actually have anything against anybody, unless their belief
precludes everybody else's. … I am an atheist
and an absurdist
and I have been for many years. I've actually taken a huge amount of flack for that.
I believe the only reality
is how we treat each other. The morality
comes from the absence of any grander scheme, not from the presence of any grander scheme.
- The first thing I ever thought of when I thought of Buffy, the movie, was the little...blonde girl who goes into a dark alley and gets killed, in every horror movie. The idea of Buffy was to subvert that idea, that image, and create someone who was a hero where she had always been a victim. That element of surprise ... genre-busting is very much at the heart of both the movie and the series.
- I think there's a lot of people out there who say we must not have horror in any form, we must not say scary things to children because it will make them evil and disturbed... That offends me deeply, because the world is a scary and horrifying place, and everyone's going to get old and die, if they're that lucky. To set children up to think that everything is sunshine and roses is doing them a great disservice. Children need horror because there are things they don't understand. It helps them to codify it if it is mythologized, if it's put into the context of a story, whether the story has a happy ending or not. If it scares them and shows them a little bit of the dark side of the world that is there and always will be, it's helping them out when they have to face it as adults.
- Said to Michael Silverberg of NPR; quote featured in the Buffy Monster Book (2000)
- I believe we are the only sentient beings in the universe, and I believe that 500 years from now, we will still be the only sentient beings around.
- Post-Gazette.com, "Whedon creates space cowboys in 'Firefly'" (22 July 2002) 
- I'm working on Buffy: Deep Space Nine. It will be dark and badly received.
- Entertainment Weekly Angel TV Preview, published in issue #727-728 (12 September 2003)
- You can either watch TV or you can make TV.
- Underground Online, interview by Michael Patrick Sullivan
- Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the road less traveled by and they CANCELLED MY FRIKKIN' SHOW. I totally shoulda took the road that had all those people on it. Damn.
- Bronze Beta web message board, (14 February 2004) ; after Whedon's discovery that The WB had cancelled Angel.
- The network called up and said 'We piggybacked you on the deal for another show,' I'm like 'Okay, so what you're saying to my writers is that they weren't picked up when they thought they were and now that they are it was because of something that has nothing to do with them. Okay. Great. Stop calling'.
- Underground Online, interview by Michael Patrick Sullivan
- Note: This is in reference to the WB network announcing that Angel had been confirmed for a full fifth season of 22 episodes, when Mutant Enemy Productions had already assumed that to be so.
- My visions of the future are always pretty much standard issue. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer... and there are flying cars.
- TV Guide (27 December – 2 January 2004)
- Foreword to Fray
- The English Language is my bitch. Or I don't speak it very well. Whatever.
- Let freedom ring, unless it's on vibrate.
- Veronica solves little puzzles because she, like all of us, cannot unravel the bigger ones.
- Veronica Mars: The Complete First Season Reviewed by Joss Whedon
- I don't actually have anything against anybody, unless their belief precludes everybody else's. … I am an atheist and an absurdist and I have been for many years. I've actually taken a huge amount of flack for that.
- I believe the only reality is how we treat each other. The morality comes from the absence of any grander scheme, not from the presence of any grander scheme.
- "Joss Whedon: Atheist & Absurdist", comments made in a Q&A-session in Australia, while promoting his movie Serenity (2005)
- Stay crunchy, even in milk.
- Very occasionally, if you really pay attention, life doesn’t suck.
- From the liner notes to the "cast album" for Once More, with Feeling. 
- If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do.
- From Angel. Also mentioned in the DVD commentary for the Firefly episode, Objects in Space.
- I know there's been some debate about the DVD art. Just remember it's what's INside that counts, as I used to remind girls in high school constantly. CONSTANTLY - until I realized that I was empty inside. Empty and homely. Man, that's a rough combo.
- The actors can make up their dialogue. I'm bushed, and they're all funny, and the hell with it. Maybe I'll give them a premise to work off of, like "You're all in trouble" or "Wash has a thing". They could maybe light it too.
- People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.
- People with real power never fear of losing it. People with control think of little else.
- SENTINEL: Is dead Buffy actually a robot?
- Joss: Um, no. Dead Buffy's a Buffy. But a dead one.
- From the Orlando Sentinel, May 24, 2001
- The greatest expression of rebellion is joy.
- There is nothing more painful in the world than Aly when she makes her big eyes. She makes her big hurt eyes, there's nothing you can do. She just kills you.
- Joss Whedon, commentary for Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode 2-14 "Innocence"
- I think that people need two kinds of fulfillment — one in which you give and one in which you hold back. Part of fulfillment is need, is longing, is being unfulfilled, that’s the nature of tragedy and a lot of drama. Very often, what the fans want, they get. But very often, what they want, they can’t quite have, because we want them to feel the way our characters felt...
- Q: So, why do you write these strong female characters?
A: Because you’re still asking me that question.
- I have had a dream my whole life... and it was not this good.
- All worthy work is open to interpretations the author did not intend. Art isn't your pet — it's your kid. It grows up and talks back to you.
- Hello, I'm the writer and director. Now take your clothes off and get on top of Morena.
- Words reportly said on the set of Serenity to Phillip Sternborg on his first day of filming.
- DVD commentary of Firefly boxset.