Sir John Vanbrugh (January 24, 1664? – March 26, 1726) was an English architect and dramatist, perhaps best known as the designer of Blenheim Palace.
- Once a woman has given you her heart you can never get rid of the rest of her.
- The Relapse, Act II, sc. i (1697)
- No man is worth having is true to his wife, or can be true to his wife, or ever was, or ever will be so.
- The Relapse, Act III, sc. ii (1697)
- Belinda: Ay, but you know we must return good for evil.
Lady Brute: That may be a mistake in the translation.
- The Provoked Wife, Act I, sc. i (1698)
- When debtors once have borrowed all we have to lend, they are very apt to grow shy of their creditors' company.
- He laughs best who laughs last.
- The Country House, Act II, sc. v (1706)
- Much of a muchness.
- The Provoked Husband. Act I, sc. i (1728)
- Completed by Colley Cibber
- The want of a thing is perplexing enough, but the possession of it is intolerable.
- The Confederacy, Act I, sc ii.
- As if a woman of education bought things because she wanted 'em.
- The Confederacy, Act II, sc. i.
Last modified on 19 August 2012, at 23:32