John Pomfret (1667 – 1702) was an English poet and clergyman.
|This religious leader article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Wine whets the wit, improves its native force…
- "The Choice".
- We bear it calmly, though a ponderous woe,
And still adore the hand that gives the blow.
- Verses to his Friend under Affliction. Compare: " Bless the hand that gave the blow", John Dryden, The Spanish Friar (1681), Act ii. Sc. 1.
- Heaven is not always angry when he strikes,
But most chastises those whom most he likes.
- Verses to his Friend under Affliction.