James Eugene Redmond "Jim" Carrey (born January 17, 1962) is a Canadian film actor and comedian. He is known for his manic, slapstick performances in comedy films such as Ace Ventura: Pet Detective; Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls; The Mask; Dumb and Dumber; Me, Myself & Irene; Fun with Dick and Jane; The Cable Guy; Liar Liar; Bruce Almighty; and Batman Forever. Carrey has also achieved critical success in dramatic roles in films such as The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. He also provides the voice for Horton the Elephant in the animated feature film Horton Hears a Who!, released on March 14, 2008. The film was his first animated feature role. He has won two Golden Globe Awards.
- I enjoy my life. The fame part of it freaked me out for a little while, and there are definitely times when it's not so great to be special and known by everybody — you know, when you're wearing the wrong thing, or just in a vulnerable place. But I'm good with my life now.
- There are two thoughts that will ensure success in all you do; (1) Don't tell everything you know, and (2) until Ace Ventura, no actor had considered talking through his ass.
- As quoted in Major in Success (2003) by Patrick Combs and Jack Canfield, p. 60
- If you aren’t in the moment, you are either looking forward to uncertainty, or back to pain and regret.
- I like people. They're entertaining. I just may laugh at different things than most people. I laugh at mistakes. I laugh at how you recover from mistakes.
- As quoted in An Interview with Jim Carrey: We talk to the comedy mastermind about his most reserved performance by Jeff Otto IGN (12 March 2004)
- I think we're past the time in history where you have to come out and say, "you know I'm just happy all the time! I'm a joker, I'm a crazy man!" you know kind of thing. I think people understand I can turn that switch on but I'm also a sensitive, normal human being with feelings and I know how to express those too.
- Fun with Dick & Jane: An Interview with Jim Carrey by Wilson Morales in Features, BlackFilm.com (December 2005)
- Comedic actors can be looked at as a lower form because we have to put ourselves in a lower place than most of the audience. I think lofty emotions are somehow considered more special. The best stories in the world to me are the ones that elicit a real emotion, but have humour.
- As quoted in This much I know: Jim Carrey, actor, 46, Los Angeles by Tony Horkins in The Observer (19 October 2008)
Jim Carrey's Unnatural Act (1991)Edit
- Imagine if you could actually be that happy? That would be powerful, man. People would be tunneling under the street to avoid you. They'd go "Oh, man — is that happy guy still out there?
- Madness is never that far away. It's as close as saying yes to the wrong impulse. The people who stay sane are the people who can make those quick decisions: "Should I stick my fingers into the fan, or leave the room right now?
"Should I run the blade of this razor across my tongue, or just finish shaving and move away from the sink?"
But you don't because luckily most of us have that little voice inside our head that says, "Uh uh uh, turning the car into oncoming traffic...is counterproductive!"
- I think nine times out of ten the worst impulses we get are when we're behind the wheel of a car. That's why I don't think its such a good idea to have a gun ... in the glove compartment. Cause chances are, if it's there, sooner or later, you're gonna use it — 'course, then again, what are you gonna do when someone cuts you off on the freeway? Just let them go? Yeah — you pretty much have to shoot them, y'know, otherwise they won't learn nothin'.
- Communication, hardest thing in the world. Y'know, I can look at you guys, I can communicate to you all night, but, one-on-one, I'm terrible. It's just, there's certain things about communicating that really bother me. Like whenever I meet somebody new I say, "Hi! How are you!" Most of the time when people hear that they'll say, "Good! And yourself?", or "Fine! Thank you very much!" But sometimes they like to surprise you, "I've got no dream, man! I'm all dead inside!"
- I wish I could do some really weird stuff for you guys, you know?
- After a stint of hyperactive gymnastic antics upon the stage.