- I am not at all the sort of person you and I took me for.
- Letter to Thomas Carlyle (7 May 1822)
- If they had said that the sun or the moon had gone out of the heavens, it could not have struck me with the idea of a more awful and dreary blank in creation than the words: "Byron is dead!"
- Letter to Thomas Carlyle (20 May 1824])
- A positive engagement to marry a certain person at a certain time, at all haps and hazards, I have always considered the most ridiculous thing on earth.
- Letter to Thomas Carlyle (January 1825)
- In spite of the honestest efforts to annihilate my I-ity, or merge it in what the world doubtless considers my better half, I still find myself a self-subsisting, and, alas! self-seeking me.
- Oh Lord! If you but knew what a brimstone of a creature I am behind all this beautiful amiability!
- Letter to Eliza Stodart (29 February 1836)
- Instead of boiling up individuals into the species, I would draw a chalk circle round every individuality, and preach to it to keep within that, and preserve and cultivate its identity.
- Letter to John Sterling (5 August 1845)
- I can see that the Lady has a genius for ruling, whilst I have a genius for not being ruled.
- Letter to Thomas Carlyle (28 September 1845)
- The surest way to get a thing in this life is to be prepared for doing without it, to the exclusion even of hope.
- Journal entry (August 1849)
- When one has been threatened with a great injustice, one accepts a smaller as a favour.
- Journal entry (25 November 1855)
- Not a hundredth part of the thoughts in my head have ever been or ever will be spoken or written — as long as I keep my senses, at least.
- Journal entry (16 July 1858)
- The triumphal-procession-air which, in our manners and customs, is given to marriage at the outset — that singing of Te Deum before the battle has begun.
Quotes about CarlyleEdit
- Jenny kissed me when we met,
Jumping from the chair she sat in;
Time, you thief, who love to get
Sweets into your list, put that in.
Say I'm weary, say I'm sad,
Say that health and wealth have missed me;
Say I'm growing old, but add
Jenny kissed me.