A native of Florida, he is a 1976 JD graduate of Vanderbilt University School of Law and has been practicing as a medical malpractice attorney in Florida since 1977, and was permanently disbarred by the Florida Bar Association on September 25, 2008.
- Sims 2, the latest version of the Sims video game franchise...contains, according to video game news sites, full frontal nudity, including nipples, penis, labia, and hair.
- 'EGM: You once compared Doug Lowenstein, president of the Entertainment Software Association, to Saddam Hussein.
JT: If I did, I want to apologize to Saddam Hussein. Doug is a propagandist to whom the facts don't matter.'
- Are you, crazy? ... People are threatening to kill me. Either report what I have said, having been provided the emails, or stop bothering me.
- Thompson to GameSpot.
- You know, there are sociopaths everywhere. Some of them are in government, some of them are at TakeTwo. In fact, we got a bunch of sociopaths in Edinburgh, Scotland, sittin' around in kilts sippin' their single malt whiskey spreading racial, hurtful stereotypes in this country.
- The Bible doesn't promote killing innocent people, Grand Theft Auto does. Islam does. Islam promotes the killing of innocent people. The Quran requires the infidel, whether Jew or Christian, to be killed. ... That's a core essence of the religion. ... Muhammad was a pirate who killed infidels and who advocated the killing of infidels. Not a nice guy. Osama bin Laden is in keeping with his fine tradition.
- You just watch. There is going to be a Columbine-times-10 incident, and everyone will finally get it. Either that, or some video gamer is going to go Columbine at some video game exec's expense or at E3, and then the industry will begin to realize that there is no place to hide, that it has trained a nation of Manchurian Children.
- William Vitka (2005-02-25). "GameSpeak: Jack Thompson". CBS News.
- ...Or else
- Video gaming is an escapist activity and you’re being exploited by these companies. It’s not healthy; I worry about someone who would play Grand Theft Auto for ten hours a day. It’s a masturbatory activity, and it would be better if people put down the controller and went outside.
- Why don't you go buy a suicide game, practice that, and get real good at it.
- (said to prank caller) 
- We don't need to play the game; it's irrelevant to the subject.
- These flowers were sent to harass me.
- Listen up, Joystiq Jackasses!
- Nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you're a hit man or a video gamer.
- "This idiot illspirit apparently can't read. The lawsuit will be on behalf of the "surviving" family members. That means the victims are dead. Duh. Yet he says the victims are still alive. Of course, what do you expect from a crazed gamer?"
- The reason why CBS chose not to edit Stern is that Stern's Arbitron ratings remained high and were arguably even enhanced by people tuning in to hear daily about Stern's running feud with CBS and his move to Sirius, In other words, CBS actually used Stern's discussion of his move to Sirius to make more money for CBS.
- I am counsel for all of the plaintiffs, they are still my clients, I was the one who won the First Amendment argument in the hearing on November 3, 2005, which trial record was what was appealed to the Alabama Supreme Court, and I fully expect to be in the courtroom trying the case when it is tried.
- I'm a little too busy to care about pissant t-shirts right now. Please note the below:
- Actually, "destroy" means destroy. My methods of choice have been numerous television exposes of the Grand Theft Auto games, in the US (60 Minutes, Today Show), in the UK (BBC, etc/), Canada, and elsewhere; preparing Hillary Clinton for her severe hit on Rockstar in July 2005 re Hot Coffee; and litigation. As to the latter, the Alabama Supreme Court said this past week that GTA is not First Amendment speech. I am working with the various law firms suing Take-Two on behalf of shareholders over the Hot Coffee matter.
I am also working with the LA District Attorney. All of these efforts have resulted in a diminution in the value of Take-Two's stock and a real possibility that government and private action will drain the company of all its assets.
Only a bunch of gamers would think that the only way to destroy a company is with an explosive device.
Grow up and wake up. I'm on the verge, with God's help, of destroying the most out of control video game company on the planet, which even Warren Spector recognizes. Jack Thompson
- Oh, and what was the previous image? Do I have to get a subpoena issued to find out?
- Hey, how about a video game depicting the killing of the people who run Joystiq? Bet they'd be real interested in doing something about a certain game then. Maybe then they'd feel how cops and women feel about GTA. Oh, but that would require some actual thought, and I forgot: You're all gamers!
- Kids took guns to school for 200 years in this country without turning them on one another. President Clinton understood that if we want to do something about gun violence, we need also to look at the stimuli to use those guns. 3000 gun laws on the books. Not a single law on the books to stop the sale of murder simulators to kids. Idiotic.
- It breaks my heart to realize that the culture has basically transformed the church rather than the church confronting the culture and trying to transform it," "You've got a generation of boys in this country who are spending sometimes dozens of hours a week blowing away people, Now they're going to have the opportunity to do it in a Christian setting and, you know, where does it stop?
- There’s direct link between violent video games and the kind of incident we almost had in Riverton, Kansas,""They took that affidavit and went to the homes of some of the suspects and found some of the games I suggested they would find,""These games are murder simulators used by the military to teach new recruits how to kill,
- Lets say you make a kid feel angry; he is going to act out what he has spent hundreds of hours doing. He has spent hundreds of hours hurting people in virtual reality. And the thing that is doubly troubling now is the graphics are so crisp and so virtually real that the brain can literally not differentiate between real violence and virtual violence, I'm a lawyer who for 20 years did medically related work. As a citizen, I entered the violent video game arena with the Paducah, Ky., shootings,
I had represented abused women and children, and that album ("As Nasty as They Wanna Be") was totally inappropriate for minors,
Killing is such an incredibly dramatic thing to do. But I quickly became disabused of that skepticism. Now it's a whole body of thought that is very, very troubling. And we are seeing these instances with incredible frequency. Here we had one in Kansas and a day later in Alaska, Playing the games desensitizes the person to the act of killing, because there is no guilt. It's a game. You are winning the game, and it's a pleasurable thing. You can get a gamer's high killing people. And there's no need to feel guilty about it -- that's how you win the game. In the Civil War, for example, soldiers were found dead on the battle field with loaded muskets. It wasn't because the guns were malfunctioning. The soldiers were young men who had been trained by their parents to go hunting with guns -- not use them to kill others. And they couldn't do it, even in the face of hostile fire. So time and again these men would load their guns, raise them and pretend to fire. Those soldiers had not been trained to overcome their inhibition to kill, If somebody else's kid plays a video game and puts my kid in harm's way in school or someplace else, I have a legitimate interest in that, The Grand Theft Auto games immerse you in a lonely world of violence, cheap sex, and pixelated nihilism, Most experts say it takes more than 100 hours to complete all of GTA: San Andreas just once.
It shows you how to -- by bullying -- take over your school. You punch people; you hit them with sling shots; you dunk their heads in dirty toilets. There's white-on-black crime in the game. You bludgeon teachers and classmates with bats. It's absolutely nuts. This is the most knuckle-headed thing I think any entertainment entity in the history of American entertainment has ever done. The word 'Columbine' means something. Everybody viscerally understands that you don't want to teach kids to bully one another. Suspects in the Kansas and Alaska incidents have bullying components just as Columbine's Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris did. Then you give them a simulator on how to exact their revenge and settle scores? It's crazy.
- His parents let him sit in his bedroom 12 or 13 hours a day on weekends, He had a bucket between his legs to urinate in. He had food and beverages on either side of the television screen. He did that because he couldn't pull himself away from the game.
"He's in his room. We don't hear anything and he not in the streets, But that's lazy parenting. Companies are making a product they know is problematic, but parents bear a responsibility.
- Two predictions:
1. E3 will once again turn down my offer to appear on any stage and debate anyone about the harmfulness of violent games, and
2. There will be discussion of the following story that appears today in South Florida:
- By the way, I was just watching G4 with my son. Who in the world watches this garbage? People with no lives, obviously. Pathetic.
- There's a lot of parental angst over the fact that these games are coming at out kids, and there must be some way to keep them away from our kids," "there's more evidence of that than there is that smoking causes cancer." "leave it up to a jury to find that the material is harmful to minors because of sex or violence. Don't have a statute defining what is harmful.
- “It’s a murder simulator,”
“It is not a game,” Thompson told lawmakers. “It is to teach you to kill, to enjoy killing.”
- We're going to push this game at Christian kids to let them know there's a cool shooter game out there," "Because of the Christian context, somehow it's OK? It's not OK. The context is irrelevant. It's a mass-killing game.
- The video game industry gave him a cranial menu that popped up in the blink of an eye in that police station," "And that menu offered him the split-second decision to kill the officers, shoot them in the head, flee in a police car, just as the game itself trained them to do.
- "It's a murder simulator, it's not a game." "The U.S. military literally uses modified versions of these games, as well as their own video games, to do one thing: to break down the inhibition to kill among new recruits,
- Jack Thompson on Free Talk Live debating his viewpoints. Thompson becomes so angry he hangs up on the hosts Ian and Mark. There are plenty of good quotes here.
- Wow, the level of comments here indicates why it is a good thing that gamers' standards are not the community's standards for discourse and entertainment.
Looks like the profanity in GTA has filtered into the pixelante subculture.
Anyway, we got the law passed unanimously in Louisiana and Video Game Nation got nothing passed, so is this a great country or what?!
I'm working with the Louisiana AG's office, and we expect to have the law held constitutional as it is not like the other laws that have been passed. But you all here wouldn't know, because you haven't read the federal court rulings, I have, and then I drafted the law, which deals with the rulings.
God bless Louisiana! Hooah!
- The corrupted and corrupting video game industry will, of course, challenge this law once it is signed by Governor Blanco. The reason is that this industry, through the ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board), its developers' lobbyist, the ESA (Entertainment Software Association), and the retailers' lobbyist, IEMA (Interactive Entertainment Merchants Association) are involved in ongoing fraudulent conduct in marketing video games that contain adult material to children.
- This would be a great idea if only the ESRB had the sense to hire an outfit whose principals had real talent.
Additionally, not real smart to hire a crew that has put out a t-shirt featuring a Jesus Christ who says "Don't be a dick."
That shows how totally out of touch the coquettish Patricia Vance is with mainstream America.
I love it. Boy, am I going to have fun with the "Dick" t-shirt.
- Radical, fascist Islamists recruit to their cause partly with the cry that American pop culture is raw sewage flowing to the rest of the world from a corrupted West. Take-Two helps cut the legs off the rebuttal to that argument. That is precisely why your corporate legs must be cut off
- You want to play hardball…? You want to try to throw me in jail? You have no idea what you are unleashing in doing this. You’re at the brink…
If this court in any fashion proceeds toward issuing a show cause order, given its utter baselessness and the bad faith goo in which it slithers, then Thompson will add whatever judge should do so as a defendant in the aforementioned federal civil rights action…
- Bully contains homosexual activities between Jimmy Hopkins and other male students. Is this a great country or what?
- I've got more Bar complaints than Judge Friedman has reversed opinions.
- Are y’all threatening CBS and ABC and Rolling Stone and every gaming site and magazine in the universe, or just my college debate booking agent because you and your bullying company think they can get away with it?
… I am going to have an absolute ball pointing out to the world that Take-Two, the self-righteous, great defenders of “freedom of expression,” simply CANNOT abide Jack Thompson’s agent using allegedly protected trademarks of Take-Two. Freedom of expression my butt.
- Take-Two is also stating that the sun does not rise in the east because Take-Two makes no money from its rising in the east.
- This is not rocket science. When a kid who has never killed anyone in his life goes on a rampage and looks like the Terminator, he's a video gamer.
- Winda Benedetti (2007-04-20). "Were video games to blame for massacre?". MSNBC. Retrieved on 2014-11-18.
- Grand Theft Auto IV is the gravest assault upon children in this country since polio. We now have vaccines for that virus... The 'vaccine' that must be administered by the United States government to deal with this virtual virus of violence and sexual depravity is criminal prosecutions of those who have conspired to do this.
- Letter to US Attorney R. Alexander Acosta, quoted in Ben Kuchera (2008-04-28). "GTA IV sex video gives Thompson, other critics fresh ammo". Ars Technica. Retrieved on 2014-11-18.
About Jack ThompsonEdit
- I'm only interested in virile men. That's why I'm not attracted to you.
- Janet Reno, quoted on "The Virtue Vigilante", Nightline, 2006-12-13
- in response to Thompson, her opponent for prosecutor, handing her a letter at a campaign event that asked her to check a box indicating whether she was homosexual, bisexual, or heterosexual