I Am Legend (2007) is an American post-apocalyptic science fiction horror film directed by Francis Lawrence and starring Will Smith. It is the third film adaptation of Richard Matheson's novel I Am Legend (1954), following The Last Man on Earth (1964) and The Omega Man (1971).
- In 2009 a deadly virus burned through our civilization, pushing humankind to the edge of extinction. Dr. Robert Neville dedicated his life to the discovery of a cure, and the restoration of humanity. On September 9th, 2012, at approximately 8:49 p.m. he discovered that cure; and at 8:52 he gave his life to defend it. We are his legacy. This is his legend. Light up the darkness.
- Mommy look, it's a butterfly!
- My name is Robert Neville. I am a survivor living in New York City. I am broadcasting on all AM frequencies. I will be at the South Street Seaport everyday at mid-day, when the sun is highest in the sky. If you are out there... if anyone is out there... I can provide food, I can provide shelter, I can provide security. If there's anybody out there... anybody... please. You are not alone.
- This is Ground Zero. This is my site. I can still fix this.
- [sees the department store dummy, Fred, outside of the store] What the hell are you doing out here, Fred? What the hell-No! NO! [grabs his assault rifle] What the hell... Fred, if you're real, you better tell me right now! Dammit Fred... IF YOU'RE REAL, YOU BETTER TELL ME RIGHT NOW! [guns the dummy down] DAMN IT, FRED!!
- [now completely alone, Neville talks to the department store mannequins] I promised my friend I would say hello to you today. Hello. Hello. Please say hello to me. [crying] Please say hello to me!
- [telling Anna about Bob Marley] He had this idea. It was kind of a virologist idea. He believed that you could cure racism and hate... literally cure it, by injecting music and love into people's lives. When he was scheduled to perform at a peace rally, a gunman came to his house and shot him down. Two days later he walked out on that stage and sang. When they asked him why — He said, "The people who are trying to make this world worse are not taking a day off. How can I? Light up the darkness."
- TV Personality: The world of medicine has seen its share of miracle cures, from the polio vaccine to heart transplants. But all past achievements may pale in comparison to the work of Dr. Alice Krippin. Thank you so much for joining us this morning.
- Dr. Alice Krippin: Not at all.
- TV Personality: So, Dr. Krippin, give it to me in a nutshell.
- Dr. Alice Krippin: Well, the premise is quite simple - um, take something designed by nature and reprogram it to make it work for the body rather than against it.
- TV Personality: You're talking about a virus?
- Dr. Alice Krippin: Indeed, yes. In this case the measles, um, virus which has been engineered at a genetic level to be helpful rather than harmful. Um, I find the best way to describe it is if you can... if you can imagine your body as a highway, and you picture the virus as a very fast car, being driven by a very bad man. Imagine the damage that car can cause. Then if you replace that man with a cop... the picture changes. And that's essentially what we've done.
- TV Personality: And how many people have you treated so far?
- Dr. Alice Krippin: Well, we've had 10,009 clinical trials in humans so far.
- TV Personality: And how many are cancer-free?
- Dr. Alice Krippin: 10,009.
- TV Personality: So you have actually cured cancer.
- Dr. Alice Krippin: Yes, yes... yes, we have.
- Neville: [While watching a video of Shrek, softly recites all of the dialogue of an entire scene aloud as the lines are spoken on TV. Anna and Ethan stare at him] I like Shrek.
- Anna: You're not so good with people anymore, are you?
- [Anna looks at the pictures of the Darkstalkers Neville has experimented on]
- Anna: Did they all die?
- Neville: Yes.
- Anna: My God.
- Neville: God didn't do this. We did.
- Anna: The world is quieter now. We just have to listen. If we listen, we can hear God's plan.
- Neville: God's plan.
- Anna: Yeah.
- Neville: All right, let me tell you about your "God's plan". Six billion people on Earth when the infection hit. KV had a 90 percent kill rate, that's five point four billion people dead. Crashed and bled out. Dead. Less than one-percent immunity. That left 12 million healthy people, like you, me, and Ethan. The other 588 million turned into your dark seekers, and then they got hungry and they killed and fed on everybody. Everybody! Every single person that you or I has ever known is DEAD! DEAD! THERE IS NO GOD!
- Neville: I think this is why you're here. [Places vial containing the KV antidote into Anna's hand as he prepares to face the "dark seekers."]
- Anna: What are you doing?
- Neville: I'm listening.