Heywood Broun (1888–1939) was an American journalist, sportswriter and newspaper columnist in New York City. He founded the American Newspaper Guild, now known as The Newspaper Guild.
- The artist has never been a dictator, since he understands better than anybody else the variations in human personality.
- "Bring on the Artist", New York World Telegram, June 19, 1933
- There is no proselyter half so energetic as the hard-shelled atheist.
- "A New Preface to an Old Story", Broun's Nutmeg, August 19, 1939
- Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God.
- Collected Edition of Heywood Broun, compiled by Heywood Hale Broun. New York: Harcourt, Brace & Co, 1941, page 26