Gersh Itskovich Budker (Герш Ицкович Будкер) (May 1, 1918 – July 4, 1977) was a Soviet nuclear physicist. He is best known for his invention in 1968 of electron cooling, a method of reducing the emittance of particle beams by thermalisation with a co-propagating electron beam.
|This scientist article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- The problem of thermonuclear reactions is not a usual physics problem. This is a problem that must transform society and the world. Our generation, which gave to mankind atomic energy and thermonuclear energy in the form of explosions, is responsible to humanity for solving the main problem of energy – obtaining energy from water. People are waiting for the solution of this problem. Our duty is to solve it within the lifetime of our generation, and therefore we must set out on this path.
- as quoted by D. D. Ryutov in G.I. Budker: reflections & remembrances, by Boris N. Breizman. Springer. 1993. p. 278. ISBN 1-56396-070-2.
- An intelligent person should never resolve a dispute with brute force.
- as quoted by R. Z. Sagdeev in G.I. Budker: reflections & remembrances, by Boris N. Breizman. Springer. 1993. p. 306. ISBN 1-56396-070-2.
- It is so difficult to find something interesting and new, but instead of helping me to develop fledgling ideas in their infancy, you guys immediately look for a way to attack them.
- as quoted by R. Z. Sagdeev in G.I. Budker: reflections & remembrances, by Boris N. Breizman. Springer. 1993. p. 308. ISBN 1-56396-070-2.