Fred W. Friendly (1915–1998), former president of CBS News.
- No mighty king, no ambitious emperor, no pope, or prophet ever dreamt of such an awesome pulpit, so potent a magic wand.
- p.vii, Foreword, Presidential Television, A Twentieth Century Fund report, Newton N. Minow, John Bartlow Martin, Lee M. Mitchell, Basic Books, 1973.
- Television makes so much at its worst that it can't afford to do its best.
- Source: US News & World Report 12 Jun 67, After becoming professor of broadcast journalism at Columbia University)
- Television was supposed to be a national park. (Instead) it has become a money machine... It’s a commodity now, just like pork bellies.
- Quoted by Rushworth M Kidder “Videoculture” Christian Science Monitor 10 Jun 85
- A composite is a euphemism for a lie. It's disorderly. It's dishonest and it's not journalism.
- Commenting on New Yorker staff writer Alastair Reid's use of composite characters.
- p. 65, The interplay of influence: mass media and their publics in news, advertising, politics, Wadsworth series in mass communication, Kathleen Hall Jamieson, Karlyn Kohrs Campbell, Edition 2, Wadsworth, 1988.
- "I have a motto: My job is not to make up anybody's mind but to make the agony of decision making so intense that you can escape only by thinking."
- What we don't know as a nation and as a citizen can kill us.