- Brahms' Variations are better than mine, but mine were written before his.
- As quoted in Arthur Friedheim and Alexander Siloti, Remembering Franz Liszt (1961) p.138
- Sorrowful and great is the artist's destiny.
- As quoted in Joseph Machlis, The Enjoyment of Music: An Introduction to Perceptive Listening (1963) Page 107
- Any chord can follow any chord.
- Génie oblige! (Genius obliges!)
- one of Liszt's life-mottos
- When the Tsar speaks everyone should remain silent.
- When asked by Nicholas I why he suddenly stopped playing the piano during the final concert of his first Russian tour. Quite a suicidal move in the Russian Empire of the 1840s!
- "le piano concentre et résume en lui l'art tout entier..."
Last modified on 13 April 2014, at 01:40