Fausto Cercignani (born 1941) is an Italian scholar, essayist and poet.
Examples of self-translation, 2011
- The essence of my optimism is constructive pessimism.
- Never forget what you would rather forget!
- We learn a lot from the mistakes of others, but even more from our own.
- When one must fight, one had better do it without hesitation, according to his own nature.
- Personal dignity is to be measured with the yardstick of one’s conscience, not with that of other people’s judgement.
- Every human relationship implies compromises, but the limit to any compromise is one’s own dignity.
- Inner freedom demands the rejection of any imposition that injures our dignity.