- The community does not suffer deficiencies. What is lacking in one individual is made up by the other.
- Quoted in Christopher B. Ricks and Leonard Michaels, The State of the Language, p. 60
The World of Prayer, vol. 1Edit
- The modern world, more than in any preceding epoch, feels the necessity to learn anew how to pray.
- A ladder is the instrument of ascent; it symbolises intensity rising to a climax. this, too, is the meaning of prayer.
- There are three kinds of forces: the forces of nature, the spiritual and moral ones, and finally those of history and destiny.
The World of Prayer, vol. 2Edit
- In the midst of the titanic struggles of ideologies that dominate our age, it is from our prayers that we derive the firmest support for mind and soul.
- It is only in the period between adolescence and maturity and not during the earlier stages of development that any organism can unfold its full strength.