Defiance is a 2008 World War II era film written, produced and directed by Edward Zwick, set during the occupation of Belarus by Nazi Germany. The film is an account of the Bielski partisans, a group led by three Jewish brothers who saved and recruited Jews in Belarus during the Second World War.
- If we should die trying to live, at least we live like human beings
- We're family. We have to stick together
- I thought you were dead.
- Our revenge is to live.
- We go here, Lazar. You only say 'halt, who goes there' when you don't know who goes there. We go there.
- We are the Bielski's and we WILL be back!
- I am Bielski.
- What is it we are good for, Viktor? Dying.
- Nothing is impossible, what we all have done is impossible!
- Zus Bielski: [after Asael exits a hide out with 2 women] Asael! You've been busy?
- Asael Bielski: Shut up
- Konstanty 'Koscik' Kozlowski: Why is it so fucking hard being friends with a Jew?
- Tuvia Bielski: Try being one.
- Lazar: Halt, who goes there?
- Zus Bielski: We go here, Lazar. You only say 'halt, who goes there' when you don't know who goes there. We go there.
- Lazar: Oh. Sorry Zus.
- Lazar: [turning around to face the camp] Halt who goes there!
- Tuvia Bielski: Lazar, i'm coming from the camp, you only say that to people going towards the camp! The Danger is out there, not in here!
- Shamon Haretz: Merciful God, we commit our friends - Ben Zion and Krensky - to You. We have no more prayers, no more tears; we have run out of blood. Choose another people. We have paid for each of Your commandments; we have covered every stone and field with ashes. Sanctify another land. Choose another people. Teach them the deeds and the prophesies. Grant us but one more blessing: take back the gift of our holiness. Amen.
- Tuvia Bielski: I thought you were dead.
- Shamon Haretz: I am at least half dead.
- Bella: Women need guns, too.
- Zus Bielski: What for?
- Bella: For... protection.
- Zus Bielski: Women have men for protection.