Clannad: After Story
Clannad: After Story (2008–2009) is an anime series based on Clannad_(visual novel). It is a sequel to the 2007-2008 anime series Clannad, based on the same visual novel. It follows the relationship between Tomoya Okazaki and Nagisa Furukawa as they graduate from high school and continue their life's journey.
The Goodbye at the End of Summer [Episode 1]
- [Nagisa tells Kyou, Ryou, Kotomi, and Youhei about the baseball game Akio mentioned.]
- Kyou: You kidding? Of course I'll play with you guys!
- Nagisa: If we have you on our team Kyou, there's no way we can lose!
- Youhei: I gotta admit Nagisa, your dad must have a pretty keen eye for talent if he's scouting the great Youhei Sunohara!
- Tomoya: Yeah, apparently he sensed your amazing athletic abilities with his psychic powers?
- Youhei: What can I say? I talent like mine can't help but shine. Even if I try to live a normal life.
- Tomoya: [To himself] Well, that didn't take much. Good thing he's so gullible.
- Youhei: Say what now?!
- Tomoya: I'm just kidding! You're an incredible genius, an incredible athlete, incredibly thin providing incredible protection, even at night!
- Youhei: You called it!
- Kotomi: Tomoya, do you think I could play baseball with you too?
- Tomoya: Uh, do you know the rules, Kotomi?
- Kotomi: I think I have a pretty good idea, since I watched you and Tomoyo played against the school team. I've wanted to give it a try ever since.
- Youhei: You saw that...?
- Kyou: What about you, Ryou? Are you gonna play?
- Ryou: Um, I'll just cheer from the sidelines. Sports aren't exactly my strong point.
- Nagisa: Then I guess that makes two people cheering for you! You can't let us down! Okay, Tomoya?
- Kyou: [Eying Nagisa and Tomoya] Hm?
- Tomoya: What is it now?
- Kyou: Oh, it's nothing. Just cute to see you two acting like a couple.
- Nagisa: [Embarrassed] Oh, you think so?
- [Tomoya and Youhei are planning on asking Tomoyo to help out with the baseball game.]
- Tomoyo: It's not like you to call on me like this. Is there something wrong?
- Tomoya: Sunohara told me he wants to get nasty with you in public. [Tomoyo kicks Youhei, which causes him to slam face-first into a wall.] I guess I should have known that Tomoyo would pass the strength test with flying colors.
- Youhei: [Angry] I'm not your guinea pig, dammit!
- Tomoyo: What are you talking about?
- [Cuts to Tomoya, Tomoyo, Nagisa, and Youhei walking down the hill.]
- Nagisa: Thanks for joining the team, Tomoyo. We're happy to have you.
- Tomoyo: I haven't agreed to anything yet. All I said is that I might join if you could get Misae to join, too.
- Tomoya: Misae looks like she's in pretty good shape. We gotta make sure we recruit her no matter what.
- Youhei: Don't worry! She'll do it for me! We go way back! [Nagisa sees Yusuke Yoshino working on a telephone pole.]
- Nagisa: Oh, isn't that Yusuke Yoshino?
- Tomoyo: Oh, yeah. The guy from the wedding, right?
- Youhei: While we're at it, we might as well ask him to join, too! [He then calls out to Yusuke, waving] Hey! Yoshino! [He doesn't hear him]
- Nagisa: I don't think he can hear you.
- Youhei: Let's do a "Yoshino call"!
- Tomoya: A "Yoshino call"?
- Youhei: Yeah, like when you want an encore. He used to be in a rock band, right? We gotta speak his language if we want him to hear us! All together! [Tomoya, Nagisa, Tomoyo, and Youhei start chanting "Yoshino". Yoshino eventually comes down from the pole and smacks Youhei with his worker's helmet.]
- Yusuke: Are you making fun of me, punk?!
- [Tomoya and his friends are playing a baseball game while it is their turn up to bat.]
- Sunohara: [At Tomoya] Why are all the girls so much better than us? That pitcher's hardcore and they're still getting hits left and right.
- Akio: No outs with runners on first and third! Who's up next? [Realizes Nagisa is up to bat next.] Oh, right...It's you...I forgot...Do a squeeze play!
- Nagisa: Uh, squeeze play? What am I supposed to squeeze?
- Akio: Never mind. Just swing the bat, okay? [Nagisa strikes out]
- Umpire: Strike! Batter out!
- Nagisa: [At Akio] I'm sorry.
- [Tomoya and his friends are playing a base ball game and Kotomi is up to bat.]
- Kotomi: The first pitch has a 62% chance at being a low-inside ball. Bat length: 800mm. Ball size: 70mm. Based on the length of my arms and operating range, combined with my calculation of the ball's speed, I should be able to hit it! [The batter throws the ball and Kotomi barely hits the ball.]
- Sunohara: A Texas leaguer. Wow.
- Tomoya: [Shouting] Run Kotomi! Run! [Kotomi runs for first base.]
- Umpire: Safe!
- Kotomi: Alright! I did it!
Search for Fake Love [Episode 2]
- Kyou Fujibayashi: [speaking to Sunohara] You care to repeat those words? If you can, I'll stick my hand into your mouth and rip out your vocal cords as a reward.
- [Tomoya is sitting in class and Youhei arrives late.]
- Youhei: Are we eating lunch in the cafeteria?
- Tomoya: Wait a sec, you just got here, didn't you?
- Youhei: Yeah.
- Tomoya: Then you gotta make some kind of opening statement. If you don't, it'll throw me off all afternoon.
- Youhei: [Irritated] Okay, fine! I'll just start over again! [With a more cheerful tone] Hey, how are you, Okazaki? Where would you enjoy eating lunch today?
- Tomoya: Way too eloquent.
- Youhei: Huh?
- Tomoya: I'm saying that was too eloquent for you. It was so out of character, I don't know how to respond.
- Youhei: [Irritated] Then what do you want me to do?!
- Tomoya: Try saying "all that, and a toilet." at the end of your sentences. That'll take an edge off the eloquence and make it sound more low-brow like you.
- Youhei: [Sighs] Yeah, whatever. Maybe some other time, okay?
- [Tomoya and Nagisa are telling Sunohara that Mei is staying over at Nagisa's house again.]
- Youhei: Huh? Mei's staying at your place again? Are you okay with that?
- Nagisa: Of course! We don't mind at all! The whole family loves Mei!
- Tomoya: And just for the record, she already told your parents and ok'd it with her school back home. She wanted to stick around and keep an eye on you.
- Youhei: Huh?
- Mei: [In Tomoya's flashback] My brother's in his last semester of high school and he still doesn't know what to do with himself. I'd better stay here. I'm too worried to go home.
- Tomoya: [At Youhei] Mei said she wants to have a nice, long talk with you so you be ready.
- Nagisa: Sunohara, have you ever thought about your future goals or what you want to do with yourself?
- Youhei: Hm...Can't say it comes to mind, no. Obviously college is out of the question, so I guess I'll just find any old job and work any old way. But...If I happen to find a responsible girlfriend to look after me, I bet Mei wouldn't be so worried all the time.
- Tomoya: Yeah! That's it! [Cuts to Youhei, Tomoya, and Nagisa in the courtyard.] All you gotta do is pretend you're going out with some nice girl. Someone really smart or dependable or whatever. We can introduce her to Mei and she'll stop worrying.
- Nagisa: I see what you mean, but it's not good to lie.
- Youhei: I know. You think anyone would go for that?
- Tomoya: Well, sure. Why not? It's not like you're ugly or anything. Even if you have a rotten personality, you still have a baby face. You appeal to their maternal instinct. You're Baby Sunohara! [Nagisa looks at Youhei with a curious look.]
- Youhei: Y-You think so?
- Tomoya: Just think. If you and your fake girlfriend happen to hit it off, it might even turn into a real relationship.
- Youhei: Whoa! The Okazaki magic, huh?! [Getting extremely determined.] Alright! Bring it on! I'm ready to rock!
- Nagisa: [Whispering] Tomoya, are you actually helping him or are you just having fun at his expense?
- Tomoya: Uh, a little bit of both, but he'll live.
Disagreeing Hearts [Episode 3]
- Youhei Sunohara: When in midst of love, sisters go out of sight. Love is amazing!
- [Sanae introduces herself to Mei in her disguise, using an alias, and pretending to be Youhei's girlfriend.]
- Sanae: I'm Sanako Isogai; 17 years old. [She bows] Your big brother has taken very good care of me.
- Mei: [Takes a close look at Sanae] Funny, I feel like we've met somewhere before.
- Sanae: This is a small town. We probably just bumped into each other somewhere or another.
- Mei: You're awful pretty.
- Sanae: That's very sweet of you to say.
- Mei: Huh...A pretty girl like you with my brother...With my brother...With my brother?... [She embraces Sanae] You poor thing!
- Youhei: [Angry] What's that supposed to mean?!
With the Same Smile as That Day [Episode 4]
- [Tomoya is helping Youhei going to ask Akio to marry Sanae.]
- Tomoya: Alright, there's the Old Man.
- Youhei: Oh, man. I'm really starting to freak out right now!
- Tomoya: You gonna give up?
- Youhei: I shan't, for Sanae is my angel and I would face the fires of Hell for her love!
- Tomoya: Alright then...Good luck with that. [Youhei walks over to Akio.]
- Youhei: Hello, sir!
- Akio: Oh, you're that Sunohara kid, right? What's up? Here to buy some bread?
- Youhei: Sir, please allow me to marry your sweet Sanae. [He bows]
- Akio: [Confused] Huh?
- [Sanae and Nagisa come out of the bakery.]
- Sanae: What's wrong, honey? You look upset. [Tomoya starts laughing.]
- Youhei: Honey?!
- Nagisa: Tomoya, you mean after all this time, you still haven't told Sunohara the truth about my mom?
- Youhei: Your mom?! Say what?!
- Sanae: That's right. Akio and I are husband and wife.
- Youhei: [Surprised] WHAT?!
- Akio: You trying to make a move on my wife, punk?! You're gonna die! [Akio chases after Youhei, screaming.] Get back here!
- Tomoya: [Narrating] It's funny. I'll never forget the first time I met Sunohara. [Shows a flashback of Tomoya walking down the hall with Mr. Komura and Youhei comes out of the teachers office.] Some weird guy with bleached hair and bandages. I couldn't help laughing the moment I saw him. Actually, I think that was the first time I laughed since I came to that school. He might have looked stupid, but it was the kind of stupid I wanted in on. Not much of a story, but that's how we met. Ever since then, we've been together all the time. Ever since then, we've been laughing...and we still are now.
The Season You Were In [Episode 5]
Forever By Your Side [Episode 6]
Her Whereabouts [Episode 7]
- Sunohara: As long as you're doing what you're supposed to do, you don't have to attend classes. That's the law of society.
Valiant Fight [Episode 8]
En Route on the Sloped Road [Episode 9]
Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh,?
Season of Beginnings [Episode 10]
The Promised Founder's Festival [Episode 11]
- Yoshino Yuusuke: What can't be done will be covered by others. That's what work is about.
Sudden Events [Episode 12]
- [Tomoya and Nagisa are visiting Tomoya's father at a police precinct.]
- Tomoya: [Sighs] I don't get it. What are you trying to pull? What the hell do you want from me? You think it's fun to screw up other people's lives? Is that it? To be honest, I don't even consider you my father anymore. Of course, that doesn't seem to make any difference to anyone else. To the rest of the world, I'm still your son. Come on...Don't you have anything to say about this? Don't you have anything to say to this son whose life you've destroyed over and over again? [He doesn't answer. He then starts shouting at him.] WHAT THE HELL'S WRONG WITH YOU?! [Tomoya's chair falls back as he abruptly stands up.]
- Nagisa: Tomoya, stop!
- Tomoya: I've had enough. [He turns to exit] I have nothing more to say to you; there's no point. You can rot in Hell for all I care! [He exits]
- Nagisa: Tomoya...
- Nagisa Furukawa: [speaking to Tomoya] If we're together, we can become stronger.
- [Tomoya is storming down an alley after visiting his father with Nagisa chasing after him]
- Nagisa: Tomoya! Wait! Hold on! Come back! [Tomoya is holding his wrist with one arm, restraining it.] Tomoya... [Tomoya then punches a nearby wall] Stop it! What are you doing?! [Nagisa takes his fist away from the wall, revealing it to be badly bruised. Tomoya then forces Nagisa to let go of him. He pauses and then prepares to punch the wall again with the same fist.] Tomoya! Tomoya! Stop! Tomoya! Tomoya! [Tomoya then is forced by Nagisa to turn around, revealing her crying face. Tomoya then falls to his knees with Nagisa.] Does...your hand hurt...?
- Tomoya: Yeah...
- Nagisa: It'll hurt if you take a bath...
- Tomoya: Probably so...[Pause] Nagisa?
- Nagisa: Yes?
- Tomoya: Will you marry me?
- Nagisa: [Pause] Yes.
- Tomoya: Are you sure?
- Nagisa: For as long as we've been together, I've known you were the only one. I mean it.
- Tomoya: Even if I'm like this? Even though...I'm so pathetic?...
- Nagisa: It's fine. I'm pathetic, too. But...I think if we're together...we can grow stronger...
- Tomoya: [Embraces Nagisa] Then you...you'll stay with me?
- Nagisa: Yes...Of course I'll stay with you...No matter what happens...Forever and ever...
Graduation [Episode 13]
- [Akio comes out into the park where it is raining and Tomoya is practicing his swings with a baseball bat. Nagisa is standing by the side.]
- Tomoya: Old Man...
- Akio: Sure is coming down hard. Guess it's another rainy autumn, huh? [Sanae stands by Nagisa's side.] Hit or miss, this is the last pitch you're gonna get. Ready? [Tomoya nods affirmatively then gets in his batting stance. Akio pitches the ball, in which Tomoya finally hits.]
- Nagisa: Tomoya!
- Sanae: Home run! [Tomoya then runs over towards Akio and gets on his hands and feet.]
- Tomoya: Give me Nagisa's hand in marriage! [Long pause. Akio then responds]
- Akio: Look at that. Just like me when I was that age.
- Sanae: Really honey, I've known you two were alike since I first met him. You're two of a kind.
- Akio: I was in a hurry to grow up, even though I didn't know why. Guess kids never learn, do they? [Nagisa comes to Tomoya's side]
- Sanae: All the more reason you should understand.
- Akio: [To Tomoya] Pick your head up. [He does so] If you ever make my little girl suffer, then I'm taking her back from you. You don't want to test me on that, kid.
- Tomoya: Then...you mean...?
- Nagisa: Thank you, dad! [Akio walks away to pick up his umbrella]
- Sanae: Tomoya, Nagisa isn't just our daughter, she's our hope. So I want you to know that today on you're part of that hope, too. So never forget that your happiness is our happiness as well. In other words, try your best to be happy, okay?
- [Tomoya and Nagisa then bow to Sanae and Akio]
- [Tomoya, Nagisa, Akio and Sanae are sitting around a table on Nagisa's 20th birthday, drinking sake.]
- Akio: I feel like I've been waiting for this all my life! The day I can finally have a drink with my daughter!
- Tomoya: [To Nagisa] This is your first time drinking sake, huh?
- Nagisa: Yes, it's a new experience for me. [She sniffs the sake then shudders.]
- Sanae: Nagisa, no need to force yourself, okay?
- Nagisa: No, I can have one cup at least. I have to for dad's sake.
- Akio: Nagisa...You have no idea how proud I am to call you my daughter.
- Tomoya: [At Akio] Booze really means a lot to you...
- Nagisa: Here I go. [She drinks the sake]
- Akio: Whoo-hoo-hoo! Just look at her go! [Nagisa finishes drinking, then her face turns red.]
- Tomoya: [To Nagisa] Uh, you look dizzy. Are you alright?
- Nagisa: Hey, Tomoya...You're so far away...Why are you spinning?
- Tomoya: Huh?
- [Nagisa then shuffles across the floor to get closer to Tomoya.]
- Nagisa: I like you up-close.
- Tomoya: You're drunk already, huh?
- Nagisa: I'm not drunk! How dare you!
- Tomoya: I hate to break it to you, but that's what all drunks say. [Nagisa looks at him with gazing eyes]
- Nagisa: Tomoya...
- Sanae: You two are so lovey-dovey!
- Tomoya: I don't think "lovey-dovey" is the word for this!
- Nagisa: Hey, Tomoya!
- Tomoya: Uh, yes?
- Nagisa: I see you staring at my mom! You cut that out!
- Tomoya: What the heck are you talking about?
- Sanae: Yeah, Tomoya...Like, what's the deal, huh? [Tomoya then sees her after drinking her sake.]
- Tomoya: Aw, now you got Sanae drinking, too! Great!
- Sanae: Oh my, Tomoya. Could it be you've take an interest in little old me?
- Nagisa: Bored with me already, Tomoya?!
- Akio: Whoa! Here comes the catfight!
- Tomoya: One of those cats is your wife, you know!
- Nagisa: Come on, Tomoya! Who do you like better?!
- Sanae: Oh my...Is he gonna confess his love to me?
- Tomoya: [At Nagisa] What do you mean? Of course I-
- Akio: Pick Sanae! Her boobs are bigger! [Tomoya takes note of them, slams his head on the table, then turns his attention back to Nagisa.]
- Nagisa: Hey, buddy! What are you getting all flustered about, huh?
- Akio: That proves he likes Sanae after all!
- Tomoya: No, no, no, no, no, no!
- Sanae: You don't like me?
- Tomoya: No, it's not that! I mean, I like you as a person!
- Nagisa: You admit it?!
- Tomoya: [Getting frustrated.] AHHHHHHHHH! WHAT THE HELL DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS?!
- Akio: [At Sanae] Alright, I think we've teased the boy enough. Who cares if he likes you or not? You've got me, don't ya?
- Sanae: I wasn't teasing him. I was serious. I might be interested in him myself.
- Akio: What?! Don't leave me, Sanae!
- Nagisa: Make up your mind, Tomoya!
A New Family [Episode 14]
- [Tomoya and Nagisa have moved in as a married couple.]
- Nagisa: Um...
- Tomoya: What's wrong?
- Nagisa: I'm not quite sure what to say at a time like this...
- Tomoya: A time like what? What do you mean?
- Nagisa: Our new life starts together today. Should I say "Ready, set, go" or something like that?
- Tomoya: No, that's weird. It's not like a race or anything. [Chuckles]
- Nagisa: Hm, you're right, but what should we say?
- Tomoya: The idea is that we're gonna live together and support each other and all, so something like "Let's give it our best"?
- Nagisa: In that case, I'd like to make a vow to start things off on a good note.
- Tomoya: A vow?
- Nagisa: Yep. I, Nagisa Okazaki, will no longer cry. No matter how hard things get, I vow to hang in there and never give up. [Tomoya gives her a positive look.] But, even if I don't cry when I'm sad, I might do it when I'm happy. That's just the kind of person I am. From now on, I'll do my best to support you.
- Tomoya: Thank you, and I'll do my best to support you too, Nagisa.
- Akio: Nauseous huh? What are you pregnant or something?
- Tomoya: Don't joke about that!
- Akio: Hit a soft spot, huh? Sorry kid, if you had any balls, she'd have a bun in the oven already.
- Sanae: She does, we just found out.
- Akio and Tomoya: Huh?
- Sanae: I'm not talking about baking.
- Akio: Wait, you mean...
- Sanae: Nagisa and Tomoya are having a child. Congratulations.
- Akio: Wait, Sanae! When you say they're having a child, you mean a stork came to visit them, or they picked it up in a cabbage patch, or a fairy god mother granted their wish, or something!
- Nagisa: No Dad. That's not how it works. Tomoya and I are married now, so we....uh..mm
- Tomoya: [Thinking] What? Nagisa, no. Don't say it.
- Nagisa: We have sex and sex makes babies!
- Tomoya: [Thinking] It's takes a special kind of girl to say that to her parents. Actually, it takes a special kind of human to say that at all. You're one in a million, Nagisa.
- Sanae: She hasn't had her period in two months. I think it's safe to say it's for real.
- Tomoya: Uh...u...
- Akio: You little creep! You're dead! [Growling noise] I mean, congratulations, kid.
- Tomoya: Uh...t-thanks.
In the Remains of Summer [Episode 15]
White Darkness [Episode 16]
- [Nagisa has gone into labor at home with Tomoya at her side.]
- Tomoya: You're alright, Nagisa! Hang in there, okay! You're gonna make it! [Nagisa is groaning in pain.] Nagisa...
- Nagisa: Don't worry about me. I'm fine. I have to look out for Shio...After this is over, the three of us are gonna live together...Right here in our home... [Sanae, Akio, and Yagi arrive.]
- Sanae: Alright, we were able to get Yagi.
- Akio: Damn it! All the cars are stuck on the road! What the hell! Why now?!
- Yagi: [At Akio] Listen, I need you to boil some water for me. As much as you can.
- Akio: Alright! [Runs into the kitchen.]
- Yagi: Okazaki, you do whatever you can to encourage your wife.
- Tomoya: Alright. It's alright to hold her hand, isn't it?
- Yagi: Of course. Just hold on and don't let go.
- Tomoya: Nagisa, I'm right here with you, okay? Don't give up, Nagisa! I know you can do it! It's gonna be fine! You gonna have Ushio and we're gonna start our new life together!
- Yagi: [At Nagisa] Just calm down now. It'll be alright. Okay, now [Exhales a breath] breathe out. That's right, good. Now [Exhales again] just relax. Relax. You're doing fine. Let's have a look.
- Tomoya: [Narrating] Nagisa lost consciousness over and over again; waking up and passing out because of the pain. It was cruel to watch. I wanted to cover my eyes and hide. It stretched on and on with no end in sight. I lost track of time. It felt like an eternity. I was so close to passing out myself. After a while, I felt like my heart couldn't take it anymore. I felt like I had run out of hope. [Hours pass and Nagisa successfully gives birth to Ushio. Tomoya takes the baby while Sanae, Akio, and Yagi look at Nagisa in worry.] Nagisa? Nagisa? Nagisa? [Tomoya grabs her hand.] Nagisa! [Nagisa opens her eyes.]
- Nagisa: [Weakly] Tomoya? Uh-oh.
- Tomoya: She's here! Nagisa! She's...She's right here! [Nagisa looks at Ushio.] You can hear her, right? That's our baby. That's our baby crying. Here, look. [Tomoya shows Nagisa Ushio.] I got to hold her before anyone else. See?
- Nagisa: Oh, yeah...She turned out so cute...
- Tomoya: This is our little baby, Nagisa. It's our little Ushio.
- Nagisa: Hey there, Shio...
- Tomoya: It's a girl! She's as healthy as can be!
- Nagisa: Yeah...I'm so glad we could have her here at home with you Tomoya...I'm sorry I had to make Shio work so hard for it, but at least we're all together...
- Tomoya: You did a great job. I mean it.
- Nagisa: Hey...I'm sorry, but I'm starting to feel a little tired...Could you let me rest...Just for a second...?
- Sanae: Nagisa?!
- Akio: Damn it! The doctor still isn't here?!
- Sanae: We still can't use the car?
- Tomoya: Nagisa...Wait, Nagisa, not yet...Come on, let's talk, just...just for a little bit, okay? You don't have to say anything. Just listen. [Nagisa doesn't respond.] Come on, you have to look at our baby...She looks like a cute little monkey, doesn't she? See? She's so tiny...Here, I'm gonna call her name, okay? Ushio. Hey, it's Daddy. Ushio? This is Mommy, see? Look at her, see? [Ushio gestures negatively.] She's ignoring me...Guess she doesn't understand yet...[Nagisa slightly responds by looking at Tomoya.] I bet she'll grow up before we know it. She'll be starting school. We'll have to go clothes shopping with her. We'll have open house and school festivals to go to. We'll do it all as a family. Even though...Even though I used to make fun of that stuff when I was growing up...[Nagisa doesn't respond.] Nagisa? [Her hand loses its grip on Tomoya's and drops on the futon. Tomoya gasps.] Nagisa! [He picks up her hand and places it on Ushio's cheek.] Here, it's Ushio's cheek! Come on...Hey...[Her hand drops onto the futon again. Tomoya then narrates while having flashbacks of him and Nagisa.] Nagisa...You told me you'd always be by my side...You said we'd always be together...You promised me that, remember?...Over and over again...We both promised...That was my only dream...Nothing good ever happened to me until I met you...I thought I had a crappy life...But even someone useless like me finally found something to live for...Right, Nagisa? R-Right? Nagisa...[Aloud while embracing Nagisa.] NAGISA!!! [Tomoya then has several flashbacks of him, Nagisa, and several others. The flashbacks stop with Tomoya and Nagisa of when they first met on the hill.]
- Nagisa: [In the flashback.] Do you like this school? I have to say that I love it very, very much. But soon, everything changes...Well, at least it does eventually. Fun things...Happy things...They'll all...They'll all eventually change someday, you know? But...Do you think you can still love this place anyway? [Tomoya does not call out to her and Nagisa walks down the hill instead of up.]
- Tomoya: [Narrating within the flashback.] We never should have met...We should have just kept going down our separate paths...We never would have gone out...We never would have gotten married...And...And Ushio would have never been born...Then...At least...I wouldn't have to go through so much suffering...We never should have met...
Summertime [Episode 17]
- [Tomoya is narrating about his present life.]
- Tomoya: [Narrating] I was only living because it was too much trouble to die. I got up in the morning, went to work, I ate dinner, and then I went to sleep at night. It's like my body was doing it out of habit. That's how I lived every day of my life. I worked my body to the absolute limit. I wanted to forget everything, so I let work swallow my life; swallow everything.
- [Tomoya is at work late at night.]
- Manager: Okazaki, why don't you call it a night? It's late.
- Tomoya: [Aloud] It's fine. I'll be done in just a second.
- Manager: Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the work you do for us, but if you keep pushing yourself like that, you're going to end up making yourself sick. You know, you're not even taking time off for Ōbon.
- Tomoya: Don't worry about me. I'm doing it because I want to.
- Manager: If you don't take off every once in a while, you're going to get me in trouble with the government.
- Tomoya: [Narrating] After work was rough on me. It was even worse when I had a day off. I would throw my money away just to kill time. To stay away from home, I was hiding from reality because it was the only thing holding me together. I hate this town, but even if I moved away, I wouldn't have anywhere to go; anything to do. I tried to shut everything out; to live without thinking of anything. I wanted to wipe my mind clean. I wanted to forget what happened. Everything I did was wrong. Everything was a mistake. The fact that I met her, the fact that we fell in love, that we got married, the fact that we had a baby...It was all one big mistake I couldn't take back.
The Ends of the Earth [Episode 18]
- [Tomoya and Ushio are on a train and are sitting near a mother and a child causing a disturbance.]
- Ushio: Hey.
- Tomoya: What is it?
- Ushio: Play with me.
- Tomoya: Alright. Well, what do you do with Sanae?
- Ushio: She reads me books.
- Tomoya: Did you bring any books with you? [Ushio nods no.] What about with the Old Man?
- Ushio: Baseball.
- Tomoya: You play baseball?
- Ushio: Uh-huh. Like this. [She gets up and gets into a pretend batting stance, imitating Norihiro Komada.] Komada!
- Tomoya: Are you doing an impression?
- Ushio: You mean it isn't funny?
- Tomoya: It's not funny at all.
- Ushio: [Depressed] That's too bad. [She sits back down in her seat]
- Tomoya: [Thinking] What the heck is he teaching her? [The mother and child are still making a disturbance, Tomoya then speaks aloud, irritated] Shut up! There are other people on this train, you know!
- Mother: [Holding her child] I'm sorry. I'll keep him quiet.
- Tomoya: Ugh...Dammit... [He then sees that Ushio has disappeared] Ushio? [He goes to look for her] Where the heck did she go? [He goes into another cart and sees Ushio running from out of the bathroom] Give me a break...Ushio, let me know first if you've going to the bathroom, okay? [Pause] What's wrong? [He sees her flushed face] You weren't crying, were you? [She nods no] Come on, don't lie to me.
- Ushio: I'm not supposed to cry.
- Tomoya: Huh? Who told you that?
- Ushio: Sanae.
- Tomoya: Sanae? Even she can be strict, huh? Who knew?
- Ushio: But she said there's one place where's it's okay to cry.
- Tomoya: And where is that?
- Ushio: In the bathroom.
- Tomoya: Fair enough. I guess nobody would see you crying if you did it in the bathroom. But if you feel like crying, I don't think you should have to hold back. You should cry while you still can. When you get bigger, sometimes you can't cry...Even if you have something you want to cry about.
- [Tomoya and Ushio are back on the train after a stop. Ushio is playing with a robot toy Tomoya bought for her.]
- Tomoya: It's fine if you don't like it. [Ushio acknowledges him.] Well, I mean you'd probably rather have a girl's toy, right, instead of a robot? [Ushio nods no]
- Ushio: Girl's toys are boring. I like robots.
- Tomoya: Well, there's no harm, I guess. It's just a little strange. [Ushio gives him a confused look] No, never mind. Keep playing. [Thinking] Wonder if she's enjoying her summer vacation? Probably not...Since she's stuck with a guy like me...
- [Ushio and Tomoya are staying at an inn. Ushio gets up, disturbing Tomoya, causing him to wake up.]
- Tomoya: What's wrong?
- Ushio: Gotta potty. Number two.
- Tomoya: It's dark, so be careful. [He goes back to sleep]
- Ushio: 'Kay. [Tomoya feels bad for making her go by herself and accompanies her. Ushio goes down the stairs, into the bathroom, then out.] I did it all by myself.
- Tomoya: Good for you... [Tomoya and Ushio are walking down a hallway and she sees a firefly outside.] So what is it this time?
- Ushio: What is that thing?
- Tomoya: Hm? [He sees the firefly] Oh, it's a firefly. You know what that is, right?
- Ushio: I've never seen one before.
- Tomoya: They must come out later here. [Ushio puts on a depressed face] Something wrong? [She nods no] What? Do I have something funny on my face? [She nods no again] Then stop staring at me like that. It's not very polite. [She still has the same face on] Come on, what do you want? If there's something you wanna say, then say it. [Pause] I get it. You won't talk because you're still afraid of me, aren't you? [She nods yes] Alright, out with it already! I promise I won't yell anymore, okay?
- Ushio: I want you to tell me about my Mommy. [Tomoya is shocked by what she said]
- Tomoya: Why don't you ask Sanae?
- Ushio: I did, but she wouldn't say anything to me.
- Tomoya: She wants me to tell you, huh? [Pause] Ask Sanae when we get back. Say you asked me and I wouldn't tell you anything. [He walks off]
- [Tomoya meets his grandmother Shino after many years. They begin to talk.]
- Shino: I was contacted by someone named Furukawa. She said you would eventually come if I waited here.
- Tomoya: So Sanae planned this...?
- Shino: You've grown so much since I last saw you.
- Tomoya: I'm sorry, I don't remember at all.
- Shino: I can hardly blame you since you were so young. We met right on this spot, actually shortly after your mother Atsuko passed away. I haven't spoken to your father in quite a while. Is he still paying for his crime?
- Tomoya: No, he's been released from prison. He's back home as far as I know.
- Shino: Such a shame. It must have been hard on you.
- Tomoya: Not really.
- Shino: He may have been brash when he was younger, but he certainly wasn't that foolish. Both Atsuko and your father were still in high school when they got engaged, so of course we were against the marriage. After the wedding, your father dropped out of school. He could only afford a tiny apartment, but they wanted to live on their own. Still, they both seemed so happy back then. [Tomoya starts recalling memories of him and Nagisa.] After all, he was caring for the woman he loved. It's probably all he ever wanted in life. It wasn't too long after that when Atsuko became pregnant with you. You were certainly a blessing to them. They were thrilled to have you. [Tomoya's flashbacks stop.] Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, I suppose. It wasn't long after you were born that Atsuko passed away in an accident. It was so crushing for Naoyuki. At first, I thought he would never recover from this depression, but he was strong. He held onto what hope he could muster and kept pushing on. [Pause. Tomoya faces Shino.] Do you know why? He couldn't give up on life because he was left with you, Tomoya. He was determined to raise you on his own. [Tomoya recalled a memory from his childhood with his father.] It was long ago, but I'll that day when he walked away from here, holding your hand and smiling. Perhaps you remember now? The days after that were the toughest in his life. I can't even imagine how hard he had to work. He was fired from one job after another and forced to move from place to place just to keep his head above water. Still, he always did his best to care for you. He would try to cheer you up with toys or sweets whenever he could space little money. He sacrificed everything for you, but he refused to leave you behind. [Tomoya recalled memories of his father, himself, and Ushio.] I'm sure he was strict, perhaps even violent at times, but in his heart, I know the only thing he wanted was to raise you well, even if you were too young to understand that. But it was a very hard life for him, and nobody's perfect. I know he often turned to alcohol to forget his troubles at work. I'm sure that must have been hard for you, dealing with an alcoholic father, and I'm sure he must have done some terrible things when he was drunk, but please keep in mind that he chose to live his life with you no matter how painful it was for him. And so you grew up, but before long, you were a fine young man who was old enough to make his decisions about his own life, but by then, Naoyuki had already lost everything. His career, his reputation, his friends, and even the love of his son, I'm sure. Furukawa told me that you're suffering the same way Naoyuki was back then. I'm truly sorry to hear that. You know, that's the reason I came here today. That's the reason why I wanted to tell you everything that I did, because you can understand now; you can appreciate the kind of father Naoyuki was. [Pause]
- Tomoya: He'd come home on his break and bring me candy. He always held my hand, we'd go on walks together. Hmph. It's sad how easy I forgot all that.
- Shino: Tomoya, even though I know you're not fond of Naoyuki, do you think he's a failure as a father?
- Tomoya: Not really. I'm a bigger failure as a person than he ever was as a father. Right now I'm standing in the same place my dad did. But I don't feel like fighting. I feel like giving up. All I can think about is how weak and pathetic I am.
- Shino: [Chuckles] You're not unlike him, you know. I think he's weak and pathetic in his own way as well. But even if he wasn't perfect, I know he worked hard and did everything he could for you. For that reason, no matter what happened, I'll always be proud of him. As a man, my son may have had his share of shortcomings. But as a father, I truly believe he did a good job.
- Tomoya: I...I think so, too. And there's nothing more I could ask for.
- Shino: [Bows. Voice cracking.] Thank you so much for saying that. [Stands up straight] Oh, this is such a relief for me. Tomoya, your father has worked too hard. It's time for him to take a well-deserved break. Please tell him that his job is done. Tell him it's alright to come home now. I'll be right here waiting for him. There's no reason for him to suffer anymore.
- [Tomoya bows.]
- Ushio Okazaki: Sanae-san told me the places I can cry are in the bathroom... and in daddy's arms.
- [Tomoya comes back from the overlook with Shino to Ushio who is still looking for the toy robot in the field of flowers.]
- Tomoya: Ushio! Did you find it? [She nods no]
- Shino: Oh, is that your little girl?
- Tomoya: Yeah, her name's Ushio. [Tomoya walks towards Ushio] Were you searching for it all this time? [She nods yes] I see. [Tomoya remembers a flashback with him and his father. He then walks over to Ushio and crouches down to her.] Ushio...I'm sorry to have to say this...But we may not be able to find it. We've done everything we can. All I can do now is buy you a new one. Okay? [She puts on a depressed face]
- Ushio: But that...But that was the only one...
- Tomoya: No, there was a whole bunch of them at the store.
- Ushio: But that's the one you picked out. That was the robot you bought me. [Tomoya starts to understand what she is saying.] That was the first time...Daddy...[Tomoya finally realizes what she means]
- Tomoya: Ushio? [She mumbles yes] You've been lonely, huh?
- Ushio: Uh-huh.
- Tomoya: Did you have a fun trip, even though you were with a mean guy like me?
- Ushio: Uh-huh.
- Tomoya: I see...Ushio...Can I...Is it okay if I stay with you?...I know...I know that I've been a bad Daddy for a long time...But from now on, I wanna work hard to take care of you Ushio. So, even if it's tough, is it okay if I stay with you?
- Ushio: Uh-huh.
- Tomoya: You really mean it?
- Ushio: I want you to stay.
- Tomoya: Thank you...
- Ushio: But...But I'm still sad that I lost something I can't give back...[Pause] Daddy? Um...I don't...I don't have to hold it in anymore right? Just like you said on the train? Right? 'Cause Sanae she...she told me the only times I can cry are when I'm in the bathroom...or when I'm in Daddy's arms... [Tomoya gives her a positive look. They both embrace each other. Ushio begins to cry.]
- Tomoya: I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'm so sorry...
- [Tomoya and Ushio are riding a train back home. Ushio is sitting across from Tomoya.]
- Tomoya: Hey, Ushio. [Ushio acknowledges him] I can tell you about Mommy if you'd like that. [She nods yes] Okay then. Then come sit over here. [She sits next to Tomoya] Now, where do I start? Back in high school, Mommy was having a tough time, so she cried a lot. That was back when we first met. She didn't believe in herself very much. I remember she was standing at the bottom of the hill of our high school. Do you know what she did when she was standing there that morning? She closed her eyes and she said "Anpan!" That was a funny habit Mommy had. When she was afraid, she would say what she wanted to eat out loud and it would make her brave again. Back then, Sanae was always busy with work and didn't have time to make lunch for Mommy. Of course, Mommy would have been happy if she had Sanae's food. And maybe Sanae could make time if she had to, but Mommy was too nice to ask her. That's what your Mommy was like. Really sweet. Let's see...What else? Uh, she uh...Uh, your Mommy...Mommy was...[He begins to cry, remembering memories of Nagisa] Nagisa...Nagisa...Nagisa... [Ushio tugs on his sleeve as she begins to cry.]
- Ushio: Daddy?
- Tomoya: Silly! Why are you crying, too? [He wipes away her tears] Sorry, it's nothing bad. I was just thinking of Mommy. [He stops wiping] Okay, let's get back to the story. Back in high school, Mommy was really excited about putting on a play. Have you ever seen a play before? [Thinking] Nagisa, I've found it. I finally found it. Something only I can protect. A precious treasure only I can protect. It was right here. Right in front of me...all along...
The Road Home [Episode 19]
The Tidal Breeze's Mischief [Episode 20]
- [Fuko has come over to Tomoya and Ushio's apartment to play with her.]
- Fuko: Fuko has come to play. Thank you for inviting her. [Bows]
- Tomoya: Uh, yeah. No problem.
- Fuko: I'll get straight to the point, Ushio...[Embraces her] Be my sister and run away with me!
- Tomoya: You're crazy!
- Fuko: Fuko is not talking to you! Fuko is talking to Ushio and Ushio only! [To Ushio] Now Ushio, let's be honest, you like Fuko, don't you?
- Ushio: Yeah.
- Fuko: Did you hear that?!
- Ushio: But I still wanna stay with my Daddy.
- Tomoya: Ha ha! Did you hear that?
- Fuko: She says that now, but I'll win her over by the end of the day! [Pulls out a starfish-shaped pastry in front of Ushio.] I brought a gift! As a token of our friendship! It's custom-made starfish bread, fresh from the Furukawa bakery! You'll eat it for me, won't you Ushio?
- Ushio: [Takes bread] Yeah, sure.
- Tomoya: Considering your taste in things, that's actually pretty cute.
- Ushio: Well, okay. Here I go. [She eats part of the bread] It's yummy!
- Fuko: Cute little Ushio eating cute little bread is setting a new record for cuteness! [Embraces her]
- Tomoya: That's enough hugging, alright!
- [Cuts to Fuko and Ushio playing in the living room and Tomoya preparing lunch in the kitchen.]
- Tomoya: Ushio and I are about to have lunch. You can join us if you like, Fuko.
- Fuko: My feelings won't be swayed by bribery, you know.
- Tomoya: Give it a rest!
- Fuko: Okazaki, I heard that your wife passed away a while ago.
- Tomoya: That's right.
- Fuko: I understand your feelings. I know I must remind you of her a lot.
- Tomoya: Now let me tell you something.
- Fuko: [Ushio and Fuko have Dangos on their heads] Yes, tell Fuko anything!
- Tomoya: Nagisa was absolutely nothing like you! It's like you're not even from the same planet.
- Fuko: Y-You mean your wife was an alien?!
- Tomoya: YOU'RE THE ALIEN!
- Fuko: What?! Fuko is not an alien!
- Tomoya: I can't get inside that tiny brain of yours.
- Fuko: Rest assured, as an earthling, my brain is full of average earthling-like thoughts! The people in the neighborhood are often remarking on how I'm a perfectly average earthling!
- Tomoya: What kind of neighbors do you have?!
- Fuko: [Holds Ushio's hand] So in conclusion, let's go home together.
- Tomoya: WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?!
- [Cuts to Fuko, Ushio, and Tomoya sitting at a table eating lunch.]
- Tomoya: Besides, if the average earthing thought like you, the world would be destroyed in less than 24 hours for sure.
- Fuko: Nothing you say makes any sense to me.
- Tomoya: If there was a big red button right in front of you that you weren't supposed to push no matter what, what would you do?
- Fuko: I'd push it, but only when no one was looking.
- Tomoya: Well, that's too bad, because the button launches nuclear missiles.
- Fuko: Hey! That's not fair! You tricked me into pushing it!
- Tomoya: Just like I said, the world would be destroyed in no time.
- Fuko: Oh, all right. I have a scenario for you. [Shows a scene with a pair of tights with barbed wire and "do not wear signs around it.] If there were a pair of tights on the ground that you weren't supposed to wear no matter what, what would you do?
- Tomoya: I wouldn't do anything
- Fuko: [Scene shows Tomoya putting on the tights.]You're lying! You wouldn't be able to control yourself. You'd have to put them on!
- Tomoya: [In scene] I'M SO AWESOME! [Shows massive explosion, then an atomic mushroom cloud.]
- Fuko: You fool! Those tights were the apocalypse tights! [She picks up her empty plate.] I know it's a little late to ask now, but did you put sleeping pills in this food?
- Tomoya: Yeah right. What, you thought I'd try to knock you out and try and make a move on you? Not in a million years.
- Fuko: I-I'm flattered to hear that you care for me so much. But I don't think I can return your feelings.
- Tomoya: Really now...
- Fuko: You don't have to hide them, you know.
- Tomoya: HIDE WHAT?!
- Fuko: Your feelings for me!
- Tomoya: Ugh, shut up! You know what? Just forget it! I'm not talking to you!
- Fuko: Now, now. Don't be shy!
- Tomoya: UGH!
- Ushio: I tried to, but I couldn't do it all by myself.
The End of the World [Episode 21]
[Tomoya and Ushio are walking to the train station, on a trip. Snow is falling.]
Tomoya: Can you walk Ushio? Would you like to take a break?
Ushio: [She shakes her head] Uh-uh.
Tomoya: Let's take a cab before the snow starts getting worse. Let me carry you.
Ushio: I'm fine.
[They start walking, and Ushio's steps begin to slow as her breath gets heavier. She begins to drag her feet when she trips and nearly collapses.]
Tomoya: Ushio! [Tomoya quickly grabs her, breaking her fall.]
Tomoya: Ushio, I'm right here. What is it?
Ushio: Did we... make it? Are we on the train yet?
Tomoya: Yeah, we made it on the train.
Ushio: It's dark. Is it night?
Tomoya: It sure is. It's getting late.
Ushio: Oh... Daddy?
Ushio: I love you.
Tomoya: Yeah. Daddy loves you too, Ushio, very much.
[Ushio smiles, and then closes her eyes. Her body becomes limp.]
Tomoya: Ushio? Ushio!? USHIO!!!
[Tomoya has several flashbacks, albeit very few, of the time he and Ushio spent together. He continues to cry.]
Tomoya: No! Anything but this! Nagisa! Please save Ushio! NAGISA! Someone... Someone help! Help her! Nagisa...
Small Palms [Episode 22]
[Tomoya looks up and turns around where Nagisa is still walking.]
[Nagisa keeps on walking while Tomoya gets worried then drops his bag and runs strait to her.]
[Nagisa turns around when Tomoya comes and give her a big bear hug.]
Tomoya: Nagisa! I'm right here don't leave me!
Nagisa: You have me worried. For a second there I thought you wouldn't talk to me.
Tomoya: I'm sorry.
Nagisa: At first you would keep walking away and think we wish we never met in the first place, I hope that isn't true though.
[Tomoya then embraces her by giving another hug]
Nagisa: Meeting you is the best thing that ever happen to me. You make me so happy.
Nagisa: I don't want you to be lost, afraid or anything. From here on out I know it be hard sometimes but no matter what please don't ever regret the times we spent time together, is that too much to ask?
[Tomoya touches her face while Nagisa smiles then begins to cry.]
Tomoya: You're right I won't regret a thing. Thank you.
[Tomoya takes her hand and give it a kiss then hugs her again.]
[Ushio crys after birth Tomoya wakes up seeing where he is then looked down holding Nagisa's hand.]
[Nagisa lays there while Tomoya thinks she died again and having flashbacks when she died in the previous time.]
[Tomoya begins to cry when Nagisa wakes up seeing where she is then sees Tomoya next to her when she smiles.]
Nagisa: Is something wrong Tomoya, you look upset.
Tomoya: We're really... We're really together now right?
Nagisa: Of course we are, we will always be together, just like we promised over and over again, I'm not going anywhere.
Tomoya: That's right, just like we said.
Yagi: Okazaki, you don't need to worry half of the baby or the mother, good job congratulations.
Akio: Congragulations to you too. You did good.
Sanae: Tomoya? How would you like to give little Ushio her first bath?
Tomoya: Uh, sure.
Nagisa: Great job Tomoya, you did great.
Sanae: Look at that, healthier she can be.
Nagisa: When she gets bigger, I hope she will be strong as she is now.
Tomoya: She will be, She'll have a strong mind and strong body too, don't worry.
Nagisa: Okay. Hey Tomoya, Look outside, open the curtain, it's so pretty.
- Nagisa: Dango Dango Dango Dango Dango Dango Dango family.
- Nagisa and Tomoya: Dango Dango Dango Dango Dango Dango Dango family.
[Ushio cries with joy.]
- Nagisa: Sometimes I wonder, what if this town was alive? What if it had thoughts and feelings like one of us? If it did, I think it would want to make the people who live here happy. When I look at how things have turned out for you and me, I feel like the town might have brought us together, that it might have made this miracle happen. But even if it is wonderful, it's not really a miracle, is it? After all, this sort of thing happens every day. People who live here love this town, and they find happiness here all the time. Even if it doesn't have thoughts, I think this town is still alive in its own way. I think it still loves the people who live here. I've grown up in this town, all of my memories and dreams are a part of it. In a way I feel like it raised me.
- Tomoya: So this town is like one big happy family, huh?
- Nagisa: Yup, (laughs) a Big Dango Family.
- Tomoya: Yeah, I think I'm finally starting to get that.
The Event from One Year Before [Episode 23]
Under the Green Tree [Episode 24]
Another World: Kyou Chapter [Episode 25]
Ryou: Please don't apologize.
Tomoya: But... [Is cut off by Ryou]
Ryou: If you apologize, then I'll have to forgive you and then it'll be like nothing even happened at all. I don't want that. I want to cherish every moment we've spend together. I want to remember it all! The fun times... The sad times... Everything. So please, please don't apologize.