Cast Away is a 2000 adventure film directed by Robert Zemeckis and starring Tom Hanks. Hanks portrays a fictional FedEx employee who is stranded on an island after his plane crashes on a flight over the South Pacific. The film depicts his attempts to survive on the island using remnants of his plane's cargo, as well as his eventual escape and return to society. Hanks was nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role at the 73rd Academy Awards for his critically acclaimed performance.
- I'll be right back.
- [Chuck talks to Wilson, the volleyball] Hey, you want to hear something funny? My dentist's name is James Spalding.
- Aha, look what I've created. I have made FIRE.
- We just might make it. Did that thought ever cross your brain? Well, regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, than to stay here and die on this shithole island spending the rest of my life talking to a goddamn VOLLEYBALL!
- You wouldn't have a match by any chance, would you?
- We were enroute from Memphis, for eleven and a half hours, for 175 miles an hour, so they think that we're right here. But, we went out of radio contact, then flew around that storm for about an hour, so that's a distance of what, 400 miles? Four hundred miles squared, that's 160,000 times pi, 3.14... 502,400. That's a search area of 500,000 square miles. That's twice the size of Texas. They may never find us.
- We both have done the math. Kelly added it all up and... knew she had to let me go. I added it up, and knew that I had... lost her. Because I was never going to get off that island. I was going to die there, totally alone. I was going to get sick, or get injured or something. The only choice I had, the only thing I could control was when, and how and where it was going to happen. So... I made a rope and I went up to the summit, to hang myself. I had to test it, you know? Of course, you know me. And the weight of the log, snapped the limb of the tree, so I-I - , I couldn't even kill myself the way I wanted to. I had power over *nothing*. And that's when this feeling came over me like a warm blanket. I knew, somehow that I had to stay alive. Somehow. I had to keep breathing. Even though there was no reason to hope. And all my logic said that I would never see this place again. So that's what I did. I stayed alive. I kept breathing. And one day, my logic was proven all wrong because the tide came in, and gave me a sail. And now, here I am. I'm back in Memphis, talking to you. I have ice in my glass... And I've lost her all over again. I'm so sad that I don't have Kelly. But I'm so grateful that she was with me on that island. And I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow, the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?
- I love you too, Kelly. More than you'll ever know.
- I always knew you were alive, I knew it. Everybody said that I had to let you go. I love you. You're the love of my life.
- You said you'd be right back.
- Me too.
- We buried you. There was a coffin, a gravestone... the whole thing.
- [last lines] You look lost
- Where are you headed?
- Well, that's 83 South. And this road here will hook you up with I-40 East. If you turn right, that'll take you to Amarillo, Flagstaff, California. And if you head back that direction, you'll find a whole lot of nothing all the way to Canada.
- All right, then. Good luck, cowboy.