Bolesław Prus was the pen-name of Aleksander Głowacki (August 20, 1847 – May 19, 1912), a Polish journalist and novelist known as the leading representative of realism in 19th-century Polish literature.
- Folly is as great as the sea, it will compass anything.
- Pharaoh (1894–1895)
- For human nature is strange: the less we are inclined to self-sacrifice, the more we insist on it in others.
- The Doll (1887–1889)
- Pity is an emotion equally unpleasant to the bestower as to the recipient.
- The Doll
- A life whose beginning we do not remember, and whose end we do not know.
- The Doll
- In all of nature, a male belongs to a female that he fancies and who fancies him. And so among the animals there are no idiots. But with us!... I'm a Jew, so I musn't love a Christian woman... He's a merchant, so he's got no right to a countess... And you who've got no money, you've no rights to any woman at all...
- The Doll
- Nature has done well and wisely, in not permitting a man to live forever and in bringing into the world ever new generations. An old person is a used-up machine [... He] has too many dogmas to [...] easily [...] believe in a new truth [...]; too many sympathies and antipathies [...] for him to come to love something unfamiliar; [...] too many habits to be able to settle on new ways. Let us add suspiciousness — the fruit of bitter experiences; a pessimism inseparable from all manner of disappointments; and finally, a general decline of powers from exhaustion [...].
- "Oda do młodości" ["Ode to Youth"], 1905
- There are great crimes in the world, but perhaps the greatest is to kill a love.
- A scoundrel will be a scoundrel, even with two university degrees.
- Don't think about happiness. If it doesn't come, there's no disappointment; if it does come, it's a surprise.
- Let people be happy according to their own lights.
- True patriotism doesn't only consist in loving an ideal country, but — in loving, studying and working for the real elements of the country that are its land, community, people and all their wealth.