Beyond the Sea (film)
Beyond the Sea is a 2004 Biographical film based on the life of singer/actor Bobby Darin. The film depicts Darin's rise to teen idol success in both the music and film industry during the 1950s and 60s, as well as his marriage to Sandra Dee.
- I want night clubs, I want movies, TV, I want it all.
- (To Sandra Dee) You know I was right about you. You're gonna be easy to love.
- May I have this dance?
- When you come from nothing like us, and your destined to make a name for yourself but we will.
- [Narrating] Momma was right about music, it opened a whole new world to me, outside of time and illness, the world I could live in.
- [Narrating] Soon I would be old enough to head to New York, but momma had one more lesson to teach.
- FROM THE HALF WAY MARK!
- Let's go make movies.
- Steve Blaunder: You gotta be kidding me. That was perfect.
- Bobby Darin: We can do it better.
- Sandra Dee: I have never worked with anyone so unprofessional in my life. I mean, have even acted before?
- Bobby Darin: Well, I'm learning, but let me tell you something, Blondie, you're not exactly Audrey Hepburn.
- Bobby Darin: It's OK, I'm not gonna hurt you. Watch. My momma used to tell me a story when I was a kid that in the Middle Ages, one of the knights in King Arthur's court, he laid down his sword between himself and Guinevere, and he promised that he would never cross over to the other side.
- Sandra Dee: Really?
- Bobby Darin: I am laying down this sword between us. That's my side of the bed, and that's yours, and I will never cross over. Ever. I don't care if we don't touch for a thousand nights. Only you can cross over to my side. Only you.
- Steve Blauner: [interrupting a tender moment] Bobby! Whoa, sorry. But I was right about the war picture. Get your speech ready 'cause as soon as this tour is over, you're going to the Oscars, pal. You just got nominated.
- Bobby Darin: [shouting] Halleujah! Yes! Yes!
- Sandra Dee: Oh, Christ.
- Mary Duvan: [after Sandra and Bobby get engaged] I wished you had concentrated more on Rock Hudson.
- Sandra Dee: Rock Hudson is a very nice man, Mother, but I'm not in love with him.
- Mary Duvan: He still would have made a better husband than that "BOBBY DARIN"!
- Bobby Darin: I gotta prove I can sing, I want it all. I want the major leagues. I want nightclubs, Vegas, movies, TV. This album will make it happen all fast, faster than you can imagine.
- Bobby Darin: Hey kid! come here.
- Delivery guy: What's up?
- Bobby Darin: I just got a question. Could you do me a favour?
[Walks around him]
- Bobby Darin: Would you look at me?
- Delivery guy: What?
- Bobby Darin: Just look at me. Do you know me?
- Delivery guy: What?
- Bobby Darin: Do you recognise me?
- Delivery guy: What are you talking about?
- Bobby Darin: Do I look familiar to you?
- Delivery guy: No! you don't. I don't know you. Would you leave me alone you crazy bastard, I got things to do.
- Bobby Darin: Thanks pal!
[Walks to Ahmet]
- Bobby Darin: Ahmet, when the delivery guy knows me, than I'm a star.
- Polly Cassotto:[To young Bobby] You know before your sister was born, this is what your momma did for a living. Music was over the whole new world to me, no matter how bad I feel, no matter how sad or sick I am I just touched these keys. Like magic I always seem to feel better. I've always known you had talent Bobby, this piano is for you Charlie worked hard for it. See God wouldnt have made you suffer so much if you werent gonna make up for it later.
- Bobby Darin: So part of momma's plan was....
- Little Bobby: Wait a minute! wait a minute!
- Bobby Darin: What?
- Little Bobby: You didn't go dancing down the street like that.
- Bobby Darin: I know? it's a fantasy sequence.
- Little Bobby: But it's not real.
- Bobby Darin: Forget real. Listen kid, memories are like moonbeams we do with them what we want. (winks)
- Little Bobby: Oh okay than. Go on, I'll be around if you need me.
- In the era of cool, he was the soundtrack.
- The voice. The passion. The confidence.